Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - Wiltshire regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Blog - Ask the Expert - Wiltshire regiment

Our military expert Paul Nixon, pictured below, answers your queries.

From Veronica Scarborough:

‘I am trying to find out where and when my grandfather joined the army. I always believed he joined while in South Africa as he was working there on the railways when WWI started but on his records it says he enlisted in Gravesend, Kent. All I know about him are the following details: his name was James Barrett, born in Highworth, Wiltshire in 1867. He was a corporal in the Wiltshire regiment and died in France in September 1915. I would also like to know where in France he was serving. Where can I find this information please?’

Paul says:

‘7073 Cpl James Barrett of the 2nd Battalion, Wiltshire Regt, died of wounds on 28 September 1915. He was born in Highworth, Wiltshire and was living at Gravesend, Kent when he enlisted. He joined the Wiltshire Regiment at Swindon in the second half of 1904. He arrived in France on 20 October 1914 and is buried in Chocques Military Cemetery in France. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission notes that, ‘Chocques was occupied by Commonwealth forces from the late autumn of 1914 to the end of the war. The village was at one time the headquarters of I Corps and from January 1915 to April 1918, No.1 Casualty Clearing Station was posted there. Most of the burials from this period are of casualties who died at the clearing station from wounds received at the Bethune front.

War diary entries for the 2nd Wiltshires around this time read:

“27th - France, trenches

Early in the morning the Comdg Offr Major CD Forsyth was given to understand that the 1/4th Cameron Highrs needed immediate support, and at once ordered the Battn across the open to reinforce the 1/4th Cameron Highrs. This was done under heavy rifle & machine gun fire, and the Battn again suffered heavy losses. Capt EC Mudge & Capt WM Geddes were killed, also 2/Lt E Schultz, who had got safely into the 1/4th Cameron Highrs trench got out again to give directions to some men coming on behind and was shot in the head. Major CG Forsyth was wounded in the thigh, but remained in command. The morning was misty, and several men of each Coy took the wrong direction. These Major CG Forsyth collected in the trench we had vacated. In these positions the Battn remained until dusk, when it was possible to reorganise. The men collected by Major CG Forsyth in the trench by HULLOCH ROAD were ordered to remain. The men who had succeeded in reaching the trench held by the 1/4th Cameron Highrs were collected together in companies and placed on the Camerons left.

28th - France, trenches

We remained in our positions all day with nothing to report other than fairly heavy artillery duels. The nights became cold and wet.”

It would appear likely that Corporal Barrett died as a result of wounds sustained on the 27th, although the absence of a surviving service record makes this difficult to prove with certainty.’

If you’d like to send your question to our experts, please register or opt to receive newsletters in My Account.

More...
Working...
X