Census - I wrote it down and now I've lost it... :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census - I wrote it down and now I've lost it... :-(

Can somebody help me please? I did a search online before my sub ran out and I've lost the info. Sod's law means it's now the bit of info i need to tie in with something else.

The person I'm looking for is Mary McQuat MITCHELL born 1873 in Crawfordjohn, Lanarkshire. Her middle name wasn't used on censuses. In 1891 I found her away from home somewhere in the Scottish Borders counties, she was working as a servant. Her year of birth was out +/-5 years. I need to know what county/parish she was in on that census as the search on Scotland's People won't let me put place of birth in and I have got too many results and not enough credits to spare for mistakes.

In 1901 she is Mary LANDSBOROUGH living with her husband John somehwere in Scotland. Again I'd appreciate county/parish please.

Many thanks.

On Ancestry 1891 Scottish transcription, I can't find a Mary Mitchell born in Crawfordjohn. The nearest one noted as a servant (apart from people born in Glasgow, Airdrie etc,) is Mary Mitchell born Douglas, Lanarkshire 1871 in Biggar with the Cree family.

EDIT: There is a Mary Milligan b. Crawfordjohn 1873 a sevant in Crawfordjohn.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for looking Uncle John. I must have made a booboo when I searched before as that sounds like the details I had lost. I'll try SP now and hope that Milligan is a mistranscription.

Comment

Drat! It wasn't one of those infamous mistranscriptions. Could I bother you try again this time time still in Crawfordjohn but for Marion Mitchell aged 19 - on one of her legitimate childrens' birth certs she is given as Marion and not Mary. I'm actually on the trail of her illegitimate son Thomas (Tom) whose birth cert I've been unable to find in Edinburgh. His age on the 1901 census (with his grandparents) doesn't match his age at death on his death cert.

Who else is in the household please? I'd love find evidence of Tom. He's not with his grandparents this time as I have the page for them. I've been unable to find him anywhere till 1901 census. Maybe that will lead to his birth actually being post April 1891 instead of the 1887 that his death cert implies.

Comment

Is this your Marion in 1891 still in Crawfordjohn?

Name: Marion Mitchell
          Estimated birth year: abt 1872
          Relationship: Daur (Daughter)
          Father's Name: Andrew Mitchell
          Where born: Crawfiejohn, Lanarkshire
          Registration Number: 636
          Registration district: Crawfordjohn
          Civil parish: Crawfordjohn
          County: Lanarkshire
          Address: Greenburn
          ED: 1
          Household schedule number: 8
          Line: 2
          Roll: CSSCT1891_233
          Household Members: Name Age
          Andrew Mitchell 50
          Marion Mitchell 19
          James Mitchell 16
          Agnes Mitchell 13

Katherine

Comment

And in 1901

Name: Mary Landsborough
            Estimated birth year: abt 1874
            Relationship: Wife
            Spouse's name : John Landsborough
            Where born: Crawfordjohn, Lanarkshire
            Registration Number: 848
            Registration district: Sanquhar
            Civil parish: Sanquhar
            County: Dumfriesshire
            Address: Quarter Cottage
            ED: 5
            Household schedule number: 12
            Line: 21
            Roll: CSSCT1901_435
            John Landsborough 24
            Mary Landsborough 27
            William James Landsborough 4
            Janet Landsborough 1

Katherine

Comment

Hi GallowayLass,
              RE: the 1891 census above for Marion Mitchell.
              There was a Marion Mitchell b. 1872 in Crawfordjohn with father: Andrew, but also a Mary Mitchell b. 1873 Crawfordjohn with Father as James & Mother as Janet Henderson so that is the wrong person I have given you.

1901 Thomas was with his Grandparents (James & Janet) aged 10 born in New Cumnock Ayrshire, living in Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire

Name: Tom Mitchell
              Estimated birth year: abt 1891
              Relationship: Grandson
              Where born: New Cumnock, Ayrshire
              Registration Number: 848
              Registration district: Sanquhar
              Civil parish: Sanquhar
              County: Dumfriesshire
              Address: Auchentagart Cottage
              ED: 6
              Household schedule number: 14
              Line: 12
              Roll: CSSCT1901_435
              James Mitchell 60
              Janet Mitchell 56
              Helen Henderson 48
              Tom Mitchell 10

Katherine
              Last edited by Katherine; 20-10-10, 07:20. Reason: adding census

Comment

Deleted as posted wrong information. Sorry

Katherine
                Last edited by Katherine; 20-10-10, 07:22. Reason: wrong information

Comment

Many thanks for checking this out for me Katherine. Now I'm even more confused than ever. The 1901 census incl. Tom is deffo the right people. Tom's birth cert is proving elusive. His death cert confirms his mother Mary later married a John Landsborough. Yet on the birth certs for her legitimate children, she is referred to and signs herself as Marion. But the 1891 census you found with James, Janet and young Mary is also another fly in the ointment. I have the family in New Cumnock in 1891 at East Polquhirter Cottage but Mary is not at home. Could you please give address details etc. for the one you found in Crawfordjohn?
                  I wonder if we have 2 Mitchell girls (Marion and Mary) each marrying a John L and I've got the children of the wrong one? Until I saw the births, I'd never heard of a Marion and yet the names in her family census page are common in my family. There's always been heaps of Andrews, Jameses and Agnesses. I think I'll have to wait till I can go to Edinburgh again and get the death of the Mary I know to be mine and check her parents and the witness of the event. Hopefully her middle name is on it as McQuat is not that common. It would have been sooo easy if I had been able to find the marriage cert for my Mary and her Mr L but it has proved as elusive as Tom's birth cert!!
                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-10-10, 09:27. Reason: add info

Comment

Same as Uncle John, this is the only Mary Mitchell that ties in.
                    Crawfordjohn comes under Biggar so in my opinion this is the correct Mary.
                    Perhaps Gavin Cree is Thomas's father.

Name: Mary Mitchell
                    Estimated birth year: abt 1871
                    Relationship: Serv (Servant)
                    Where born: Douglas, Lanarkshire
                    Registration Number: 623
                    Registration district: Biggar
                    Civil parish: Biggar
                    Town: Biggar
                    County: Lanarkshire
                    Address: Main St
                    ED: 3
                    Household schedule number: 9
                    Line: 19
                    Roll: CSSCT1891_223
                    William Cree 55
                    Gavin Cree 22
                    Mary Mitchell 20

I know it says Mary was born in Douglas but Crawfordjohn is only a stonesthrow from Douglas & from what I can find, Mary's Grandparents, Thomas Henderson & Mary McQuat lived in Douglas. (Janet Henderson's parents)

Comment

Yes, this is the 1891 for James Mitchell & Janet Henderson and as you say Mary is not at home, but as you will see my previous post, if that is her as a servant, she has probably got pregnant in Biggar & gone home to her parents in New Cumnock where Thomas was born.

Name: James Mitchell
                      Estimated birth year: abt 1841
                      Relationship: Head
                      Spouse's name : Janet Mitchell
                      Where born: Sorn, Ayrshire
                      Registration Number: 608
                      Registration district: New Cumnock
                      Civil parish: New Cumnock
                      County: Ayrshire
                      Address: East Polquhirter Cottage
                      ED: 4
                      Household schedule number: 28
                      Line: 18
                      Roll: CSSCT1891_213
                      James Mitchell 50
                      Janet Mitchell 46
                      Helen Mitchell 13
                      Andrew Mitchell 9
                      Helen Henderson 37

Katherine

Comment

Could you give me the details of the death you have please?

Katherine

Comment

Couldn't find a death for Mary (exact spelling) Mitchell in Dumfrieshire but found the following:

MARY MITCHELL - OTHER SURNAME LANDSBOROUGH 1939 ALLOWAY - AYR AGED 66 BIRTH YEAR 1873

Do you think she might have gone back to Ayrshire?

Katherine

Comment

Yes Katherine, that was my original thought and why I had noted (and then lost) the Biggar one. This is going to take a bit of sorting out LOL

The death you mention is the Mary I am sure is mine. The death occurred in Ayr Asylum; cause "softening of the brain". Mary is buried in Sanquhar churchyard.

My mother tells me that after marriage Mary and John went to Arran and had a load of children. I've so far only come across 3 of them that I thought were hers. 2 boys and a girl. They were all born in upper Nithsdale area and not on Arran. The daughter married on Arran though. Mary and John came back to the New Cumnock area and were living there at the time Mary died in Ayr Asylum. I found John's death many years later 1954, Paisley, Renfrewshire. He had been living with the daughter at Inchinnan near Paisley so she at least came back to the mainland. His daughter was the informant and she's the same woman who married on Arran. John's death cert gives his wife's full name of Mary McQuat Mitchell so I know I'm correct on that one. Which makes me sure also that the 3 three children found in upper Nithsdale belong to my Mary despite the fact that she is given on one as Marion and signs as such. I must check next time in Edinburgh that the Marion on the 1891 census didn't have a child of the same name as Mary. If she did, then I have got one wrongun'. The odd thing is - on all 3 certs the parents' date and place of marriage is the same, so it's doubly odd that I can't find the marriage cert. I've no idea yet about the adult lives of the 2 sons.

As to Tom's father, either of the Mr Crees is a possibility I suppose but if Tom did ever have a middle name at birth I would expect it to be Henderson as that's what's on his death cert. Henderson is his maternal grandmother's maiden name. It's not on his gravestone though, there he's just plain Thomas Mitchell.

Comment

Have found out who 1891 Marion in Crawfordjohn is! She was born February 1872, 15 months before Mary and is Mary's cousin by her Uncle Andrew, the next oldest sibling of Mary's father James. Many thanks Uncle John and Katherine for flagging her up for me. A new side shoot for the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                Many thanks Uncle John and Katherine for flagging her up for me. A new side shoot for the tree.
                                You can shoehorn anyone into your tree if you try hard enough!!
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X