Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese Embassy Chapel in London + SOG

Hello All,
    I'm trying to find my Stocqueler and Sestini relatives and think there may be some trace of them in these Portuguese records as Joze Christiano Stocqueler d. 1812 was an agent for the Royal Wine Company of Oporto and lived in London (info from Infotrac newspapers).
    The SOG has these records online for their members and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to access them without paying the £45 for a year's membership
    Many thanks
    J

In fact you'd have to pay the £10 joining fee as well. there did have a special offer for a few weeks in the summer, whereby that was waived, but there's no sign of that offer on the site now.

If you do join, then paying by DD drops it to £42 p.a. ... plus the £10 joining fee.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine - looks like I'll have to bite the bullet but I thought you had to be a "proper" genealogist not just a muddler like me

Comment

Hi - Was Jose connected to Joachim Christian Stocqueler of Abchurch Lane,City of London.. There are some items in the London Gazette e.g http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/iss...queler/start=1 You may have seen details of his will already but a handy site http://www.londonlives.org/search.js...59&submit.y=11
        Last edited by naomiatt; 20-10-10, 09:07.

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
          Thanks Christine - looks like I'll have to bite the bullet but I thought you had to be a "proper" genealogist not just a muddler like me
          Have a look on their site(s). If you google they'll come up one way or the other - one has "sog" in the name, and the other is in full.

They had one of those free lectures at TNA a month or so back. It was really very interesting to see what they have available.

Of general interest is the fact that they will take unwanted genealogy work: e.g. if you know there's no-one in your family who's likely to want your material, then you can leave it to them. They have quite a lot of such material in various formats, and various degrees of organisation (or not organised at all!).

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Naomi
            Joze Christiano was the father of Joachim Christian and Mum was Joanna. I have all three wills from Documents Online. Joze leaves what appears to be buckets of money to wife and children in 1812 though a lot of the money was in stocks (for example he left £6000 in stocks to his wife and £3000 in stocks to Joachim). Joachim leaves "all that I am worth or may be worth" to his wife Elizabeth in 1813 but he had been a bankrupt in 1807. In 1814 Joanna leaves quite a bit of money but we're down to hundreds and then in 1815 there's a court case with Stocquelers suing other Stocquelers. Quite why I haven't been able to find out - the cost of a copy from the National Archives was quoted as £90 and as yet I haven't had a spare £90.
            This crowd seem to be quite expensive to research!!

Comment

Hello Christine,
              I've been looking at the SOG site and am still pondering whether it'll be worth it for the few pre 1800 people I have
              Thanks JJJ

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
                Thanks Naomi
                Joze Christiano was the father of Joachim Christian and Mum was Joanna. <snip> then in 1815 there's a court case with Stocquelers suing other Stocquelers. Quite why I haven't been able to find out - the cost of a copy from the National Archives was quoted as £90 and as yet I haven't had a spare £90.
                This crowd seem to be quite expensive to research!!
                Keep an eye open for anyone going to TNA and willing to slot in an extra task while there. It does happen. It would be worth posting on the Research Requests board (http://www.familytreeforum.com/forum...earch-Requests). You might have to wait a while.

I do go there myself, occasionally, but now OH has retired (his office was nearby) the easy opportunities will be more rare.

Christine

Comment

Good Plan Christine - I'll do that

Comment

Working...
                  X