am i clutching straws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i clutching straws?

i was thrilled when ancestry indexed the london registers 1538-1812. finally! i might be able to find my morton lineage. i was so wrong.

i have tracked down all the stephen morton's christened in the 1770's. i may have found a plausible one.

my stephen morton, married anne evans in 1800, at st george hanover square. he was a shoemaker, born roughly 1774, from his death cert in 1844. he was not born in county in middlesex, according to the census. so that means he claims he wasnt born in westminster? but could be born in bethnal green?

stephen and anne had: richard william b.1801 holborn, stephen, william and martha all ch.1819 st giles, caroline b.1820 and henry b.1824 westminster.

so all i know for sure of stephen is he was from the westminster general area.i have found this baptism in st matthew, bethnal green:

ch.10 dec 1773, b.8 dec 1773, stephen, son of richard martin a weaver and martha.

all of the children of this couple are martin, not morton.
    im not 100% on this, the family is recorded as martin, which richard was transcribed under sometimes, but is a separate surname.
    theres also the names richard and martha. stephen had children by that name. this richard and martha had a son stephen ch.1768, same church, he died the same year, his ch. stated richard was a weaver.

am i clutching straws here? i know the LMA records on ancestry are not complete, and that they are sketchy, but am i right here? or is stephen likely to be found among the parish registers of westminster district? his wife anne evans is no easier. she says she was born in middlesex around 1778. there is a plausible baptism for her in edmonton.
    Last edited by kylejustin; 18-10-10, 16:30.

Westminster and Bethnal Green are quite separate areas. If Stephen says he was born in Westminster you need to be looking at those parishes - and Ancestry's coverage isn't that good for Westminster.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

stephen just said not born in middlesex, but im not sure what middlesex covered in 1841. he seems to have lived in the westminster area for 40 years, so i was wondering if he would have been born there, or maybe somewhere else in london.

Comment

Working...
      X