Marriage - late wife's niece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage - late wife's niece?

I am trying to work out who one of my direct ancestors married. I am hoping I might have just come up with the answer. However, what I would like to know is if it was legal for a man to marry his late wife's niece.

Many thanks, Sandra

Have a look at this site and see what you think http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articl...prohibited.asp it doesn't look as though it would have been prohibited. There is no blood tie which is the normal cause for a restriction - ie too close and there are genetic issues.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for the link. It looks as if it is quite a useful website.

Sandra

Comment

The date of the marriage might have made a difference.

There was a time when a man couldn't marry his late wife's sister - and the equivalent for a woman. Bizarrely (or, perhaps, not, given the male percentage of MPs at the time), men were able to marry their erstwhile SiLs some years before parliament got around to allowing women to marry their erstwhile BiLs.

I'm not sure whether that ever extended to nephew/niece relationships.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine, the dates in question are c1812 - 1824. George Burton married Mary Wilson 1812 Tickhill, Doncaster. Mary died in 1816. He then went on to have another relationship with Hannah Jackson. Their marriage should be around 1824 (based on birth of first child), however I have not managed to find this marriage - maybe they could not marry? I know Hannah's maiden name because their last child was born in 1838 and I have her birth certificate. I have been searching for a long time to try and find out who Hannah Jackson's parents were. Unfortunately, on the census returns her place of birth is simply given as Doncaster. I have just found a birth for Hannah Jackson born 1798 in Doncaster parents John Jackson and Hannah Wilson.

I think that Hannah Wilson and Mary Wilson were sisters as there is a baptism for Hannah 21 Aug 1776 with the same parents as for Mary - Benjamin Wilson and Elizabeth Boulton.

Are there any flaws in my reasoning?

Sandra
          Last edited by Sherbertrose; 18-10-10, 13:51.

Comment

it looks plausible, id personally get the original registers to check for additional information.

Comment

As soon as I get the opportunity I will check the parish records - I should have also added that the locations for the marriage of Benjamin and Elizabeth were Tickhill and 'gut feeling' - I just think this is right.

I know gut feeling can be rather fickle but.......

Sandra

Comment

Working...
              X