X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody please verify this

Have a Frederick Knight born 1823 in Bermondsey
    marries a

Caroline Fallon in 1845 in Southwark (although I think she is really Catherine Fallon)

His Occupation is given as Leather Dresser

1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid
    Frederick born 1826 Bermondsey Leather Dresser
    Catherine born 1830 St Olaves Southwark a Milliner
    Caroline born 1847 Bermondsey
    Phoebe born 1849 Southwark Surrey
    Adelaide born 1851 Bermondsey

1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid
    Frederick is lodging as a single man still a Leather Dresser

Passage to Melbourne Australia on The Gipsy Bride
    Have found
    Caroline Knight born 1830 England
    Adelaide Knight born 1851 England
    Emma Knight born 1855 England

not found Phoebe and Caroline after 1851 yet

Is it feasible that Caroline/Catherine would emigrate with the two girls without her husband ??? seems a brave thing to do.

would appreciate your thoughts Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 17-10-10, 21:24.

Yes, it certainly isn't unknown. A woman in my tree emigrated to New Zealand with her children, allegedly to get away from a wife-beating husband.

Comment

thanks Mary now trying to find the other children maybe they died ?

Comment

Is it feasible that Caroline/Catherine would emigrate with the two girls without her husband ??? seems a brave thing to do.
        Wasn't there one of those on a recent WDYTYA? A Scottish pastor's wife who emigrated to NZ. He followed, but came back and was shipwrecked off the coast just before getting into Liverpool.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

yes there was Christine but this ones husband didnt follow ,she went out with 2 young children one aged 4 the other aged 1 .
          Unless of course she had family out there and she joined them?

Comment

Maybe it was the least worst option! - with or without family to go to.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine it must have been hard for her .
              I've spent all day again trying to find the other children I am assuming they died if she didnt take them? not having a lot of luck in Australia either, other than finding one of the girls marriage and death.
              Might be asking for help tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Val,

Its always possible, that the husband went first and she followed with the children after he got settled. One of mine did that, and he became the Government printer in NZ....she didn't follow for 4 years after that.
                Jackie
                Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

hi Jackie her Husband is still here in 1861 saying he is unmarried ?????? and I cannot find him after that?

Comment

It's certainly possible. Verbal family history says my gt gt g'ma took some of her several children to Canada for a few years, leaving husband behind. This would have been around 1900 - but my family have never been particularly daring or intrepid, so I don't doubt that gt gt g'ma was following a trail forged by women braver than her!
                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

have now found Fredericks Death in 1911 in Richmond Victoria so he must have followed her at some time ? but no idea where he was between 1861 in England and 1911 when he died ?

Have also found Adelaide she married in 1875 in Victoria and died in 1925 St Kilda Victoria

Also Emma's Death in Victoria in 1858

Can anybody find the Mother under either Caroline or Catherine born 1830 St Olaves Southwark I am assuming she died in Victoria .

or any suggestions please

Comment

caroline? 1861?
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

phoebe?

Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thaks for looking , but I cant even see that Girl on that Census Julie ? and my Caroline/Catherine was born in 1830 ?

Comment

Think Julie was looking for the 2 missing daughters in 1861 Val, not Caroline/Catherine. Ancestry have linked the wrong page for Caroline in 1861 - go forward 2 pages to find her.
                              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

oh thanks Judith wondered what had happened? sorry I misunderstood Julie I had given up on the other 2 children for now.

Comment

I had a look at the various online databases here: http://prov.vic.gov.au/

There is a Will for a Catherine KNIGHT, widow of Ilford, Vic, who died 14 Dec 1917, but that would make her 87 at the time of death. Were members of that family long-lived?

Christine

Comment

thats interesting Christine dont know about the Fallons (her maiden name ) but the Knights seem to have had long lives, thanks for looking.
                                    I got an answer from that site where I tried to get the images for this lot the other day and they reckon they only took 3 lots of 0.99 ???? but no answer as to why the images are missing .

Comment

I have found her daughter Adelaides will on there can I get a copy on that site ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        thats interesting Christine dont know about the Fallons (her maiden name ) but the Knights seem to have had long lives, thanks for looking.
                                        I got an answer from that site where I tried to get the images for this lot the other day and they reckon they only took 3 lots of 0.99 ???? but no answer as to why the images are missing .
                                        The 0.99 are for detailed results of searches, as distinct from actual certs.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        I have found her daughter Adelaides will on there can I get a copy on that site ???
                                        You should be able to download an image for free...
                                        1] click on the "More" in the "Details" column
                                        2] click on a "Find this file in our catalogue" link - there may be more than one, and the results will vary for each link.
                                        3] at the bottom is at least one button - "Order item". If you're lucky, there's another button "View digitised item" with the file-size alongside it.

Good hunting!

Christine
                                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-08-11, 15:23.

Comment

Working...
                                        X