Nellie Doris Moss also named Helen Doris Moss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nellie Doris Moss also named Helen Doris Moss

Nellie/Helen was born in December, 1914 at St Germans, Cornwall. She died in
    Exeter in May, 2006. She was married in 1959 to Geoffrey Crouchen in Newton
    Abbot, Devon. Geoffrey died in 1988.
    Her mother's maiden name was Brittain.No christian name known.
    She had a brother and sister born in St Germans in 1913 and 1917, and
    possibly another brother born in Wolverhampton in 1922.
    I am seeking any descendant of Nellie, and I am sure one branch of the
    Moss family may reside in the Plymouth area.
    Grateful for any assistance.

Nellie was 45 when she married, is that correct? If so, not very likely to have had any children, but perhaps someone with access to Ancestry will check for births.

I couldn't see a Moss/Brittain marriage on Freebmd.

OC

Comment

Oh, oopsy daisy!

John Moss married Nellie Brittain in 1922 Wolverhampton March Q either 6b 839 or 6b 859.

This suggests that either one of them was married before, so not free to marry until 1922.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC,
        I will contact you tomorrow. I may have found a marriage for Moss/Brittain in 1922.
        This took place in Wolverhampton, and there was a son born there in 1922.
        I have been on this computer most of the day and my eyes are on stalks.
        Out of courtesy I will give you the story.
        Many thanks.

Comment

There are no children with surname Crouchen and mother's maiden name Moss listed in the birth index on Ancestry.

Comment

OC and Mary. Thanks to both for your interest.
            As promised here is the story. I am helpng a friend trace here birth mother and any family which may
            exist. My friend was born in 1948 and adopted almost immediately. Mothersname on birth registration
            is Nellie Doris Moss - no father. From other info gathered Nellie/Helen was stationed in Lincolnshire,sometime
            during 1940s, possibly in catering services?
            Enquiries from adoption people brought forth very little, other than an address in Lincoln, where Nellie was
            lodging. We eventually traced the remaining family member from this address who informed us that Helen
            had left in 1949 and returned to Exeter, Devon, where in 1959 she married Geoff Crouchen.
            We have been told, both by the Lincoln contact and my friends adoptive mum, that Nellie was married
            before and had twins who were adopted. Whether there is any truth in this we cannot establish.
            We eventually obtained Nellie's death cert which showed she died in a nursing home in Exeter, and the
            owner tried to contact some, presumably relatives of hers, with no success. Obviously he would not
            divulge their details. Nellies funeral was cremation, so this will be the next enquiry, and we still have some
            Crouchen names to try to contact.
            This is the point at which I started to go back, which is sometimes easier. It is possible there might be
            some descendants of Helen's who lived in Plymouth. This was a brother Waltr F Moss who married a Vera Marlton in 1938.
            I found 5 children who linked up with names of Moss and Marlton. Of course I cant be sure he is Nellie's brother.
            Thanks for listening and when this is concluded I will let you know.
            Best wishes, Ian

Comment

Ian

If you buy the brother's birth cert then that will tell you if he is Nellie's brother.

OC

Comment

There is only one marriage for a Nellie D Moss (before 1959) and that marriage produced three children, one of whom was born in 1948 (male) so this cannot be her. The other two children of the marriage were not twins and all this took place in West Ham, London.

OC

Comment

There's a marriage for Helen D Moss to Geoff Crouchen in Newton Abbot 1959.
                  Margaret

Comment

There's a Moss/Brittain birth in 1917 in St Germans. I'll PM the details.
                    Margaret

Comment

There are 10 marriages listed for the Moss child born 1917 :(
                      Margaret

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to get Helen D Moss birth cert to get her mother and father's full names, you can then research their families for living people who may have some knowledge of her. Going for cousins sometimes helps as they may all have grown up together and kept in touch in later life.
                        Margaret

Comment

There's a Nellie Brittain b1898 Wolverhampton in a tree on GR - might be worth sending a message.
                          Margaret

Comment

I have sent you a PM.
                            Margaret

Comment

There's a tree on GR with **** Marlton in it b1928 Plymouth. That might be worth a try

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the input in this search.
                                You have all been most helpful and I am following several new lines of
                                enquiry as suggested.
                                I will post the results.

Comment

Hi, I have Nellie (Helen) Doris Crouchen (Moss) on my family tree.

Comment

Sarah, tulipoo hasn't visited the site for some time.

If you want to get in touch it might be a good idea to send a private message. If you click on the username to the left of the first post you will see the message option. Providing the email address is still current, then an email notification of your message will be sent to tulipoo.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I have sent a PM to tulipoo, hopefully their email is still current.

Comment

Hi Sarah, Can you give me a bit more info. Are you a relative of this family.
                                        I am in contact with the person I was helping but whether they will wish to get
                                        Involved I can't say at this time. Is it possible to exchange emails?
                                        Hear from you,
                                        Ian

Comment

Working...
                                        X