South Australia look-up request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Australia look-up request

Can anyone check SA records for me? I know there are some on Ancestry, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

I'm trying to find out what happened to Asenath Chandler, who emigrated to NSW from Beckenham, Kent, with her parents and siblings in 1857. Most of the Chandler family lived in the Armidale/Walcha area, some in Sydney, and others moved on to Brisbane. Asenath's parents, and one married sister, eventually returned to England.

She isn't the Asenath Amelia Chandler who married Thomas Duddy in NSW; that was her niece.

Her sister Alice married a Frenchman called Gustave Antoine Collin, and I've now found a death in Parramatta, NSW in 1911 for an Asenath G Collins, daughter of George J and Asenath. I wondered if George might be related to Gustave, despite the different spelling of the surname, but I can't find a marriage for George and Asenath anywhere.

On the Ancestry BMDs I've found a death for an Asenath Collins in SA in 1916-25, and a death for a Stella Asenath Collins in SA in 1968.

I've found a death notice for an Asenath Collins in Forest Range SA in 1918 in the NLA newspapers, which presumably matches the 1916-25 death on Ancestry, but the notice was inserted by her nephew Herbert J Higgins, and as far as I know, none of Asenath's sisters or numerous nieces married a Higgins.

As she's the only one of her siblings I can't find, I should like to trace her, so if anyone has the SA BMD CD, I should be grateful for a look-up.

Mary

Hi Mary - I don't have the SA records, but just wondered, could she have gone to NZ?

Comment

Don't think so - I've checked the online NZ BMD index and Papers Past, and not found anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, though

Comment

Somebody has very kindly checked the SA records for me, and the Asenath who married George Collins turns out not to be mine. So back to the drawing board :(

Comment

Where did her sister marry?

I had a look at Brisbane burials - there are a few Asenath's..

Asenath Louisa Bosden - 27/7/1800 (no age)
          Mary Asenath Boyle - aged 64 - 2/10/1936
          Asenath McAllister - aged 47 - 21/7/1930
          Asenath McAllister - aged 90 -20/10/1951
          Asenath Paine - aged 48 - 1911 (no date or month)

I've not heard the name until now..so as it's biblical, had a look at a Jewish site and it gives some alternatives - Asna, Asnah, Asne, Mae, Alice, Marissa, Asnat, Osnat
          Last edited by naomiatt; 19-10-10, 06:09.

Comment

She had numerous brothers and sisters. Two married in England before emigrating, and the rest married in NSW.

Comment

Do you know if she used any other names? Are you sure that she married?

Comment

Her baptism, 1841 census entry and emigration are all in the name of Asenath Chandler (sometimes mistranscribed as Asneath), and I have no other information about her at all. Can't find her in the 1851 census. I have no idea whether she married or not; I've been looking for marriages and deaths, but drawn a blank with both. She was 27 and single when she emigrated in 1857, so I would have expected her to marry in NSW. I have quite a few Aus certs for her family, and she hasn't turned up as a witness or informant on any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                  I've not heard the name until now..so as it's biblical, had a look at a Jewish site and it gives some alternatives - Asna, Asnah, Asne, Mae, Alice, Marissa, Asnat, Osnat
                  It's an Old Testament name; not especially common, but the family definitely weren't Jewish, and Asenath was baptised in the C of E. The Chandlers chose Christian names beginning with A for all their children, for several generations.

Comment

Hi - yes...sorry, didn't mean to imply they were Jewish..but as the site gives alternatives..I wondered maybe if for some reason she might show as Alice for example..bit of a long shot I know...

Comment

Shouldn't think so, because one of her sisters was called Alice. Thanks for all the suggestions, though

Comment

Working...
                      X