Which is the best site for Electoral Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best site for Electoral Rolls

I'm interested in finding people in the 1920's thru 1950's mainly in the Lancaster area. From experience can members advise me as the best and cheapest site for electoral roles so I can do some data mining
    Thanks in advance
    L

Leclerc

I wasn't aware that historical electoral rolls were available to buy? I thought each roll had to be accessed locally, library or whatever?

*Watching with interest in case I'm wrong!*

OC

Comment

OC
      Sorry (brain not in correct gear this morning), what I meant to ask which site is the best to access electoral rolls online, not to buy?
      I've also noticed the title of the thread has woeful spelling mistakes, need another caffine injection I think lol
      L

Comment

The only electoral rolls online are modern ones, last 15 or so years, as far as I know. The rest have to be accessed the old fashioned way, in person at the archives!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by It_Is_I_Leclerc View Post
          OC
          I've also noticed the title of the thread has woeful spelling mistakes, need another caffine injection I think lol
          L
          Can't help with the electoral rolls question but have amended the thread title!
          Elaine

Comment

I have only ever been able to access the electoral rolls back to and up to the 1950's, my main interest, through the library where my ancestors were living, at the time the electoral roll was taken. This can be a pain if your ancestors live on a border as mine did, so in 1888 I have them in Poplar Middlesex but by 1895 they are living West Ham, which is Essex, so able to access them through Stratford Library to begin with, but for the Essex addresses I will have to get to somewhere around Chelmsford. It would be great if these rolls were digitised but there would be a lot of work and I doubt they would come free.

If yours are from Lancaster then a trip to the nearest big library to Lancaster is going to be the answer, not that far from Cumbria. If you just want one quick look up, then the library will often help you, but if you want more than one or a research on a name then the library will not have tme or money to be able to do that sort of research.

Janet

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have the Essex 1918 and 1929 rolls available through Essex Record Office's online database SEAX. Are other other record offices as far ahead as that with their technology? Not aware of any other online sources.

Edit:
              Just seen Janet's post above. Janet have a look on SEAX.

Search> Images
              Type>electoral
              Last edited by keldon; 16-10-10, 10:37.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

pity it isn't Birmingham , they are online up to1955 via subscription on Midlandshistoricaldata
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you Phil for the information on Essex. I will have to have another look later as a first look just gave me the rolls but no names. Am I right in thinking I will have to pay for further information?

Janet

Comment

Thanks to all, looks like a day in the Preston RO when we go down to see the kids
                    L

Comment

It_Is_I_Leclerc, sorry to hijack this topic.

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                      Thank you Phil for the information on Essex. I will have to have another look later as a first look just gave me the rolls but no names. Am I right in thinking I will have to pay for further information?
                      No it's free. Click on the area where you want to look. Say Romford. The description will then show the areas covered in that volume. So you need to know where you want to look. Then work your way through the images until you come to area you want, say Barking. The person names are then listed under street names. Hard work if you do not know the street name, and useless if do not the area they moved to.
                      Phil
                      historyhouse.co.uk
                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I was at one time looking for an address in Ilford Essex. I emailed the Ilford library and they very kindly gave me the names of the people living there for several years.
                        Look up the local library on Google. You do need the address though.

June

Comment

That's interesting about Birmingham - unfortunately none of my rellies come from here.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Keldon

Thanks for the extra instructions. I have been rather busy and unable to get back to it but I wil have another go later. I do know the street name and number so on that basis should be reasonably easy!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X