Perry's of Davenham Cheshire England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry's of Davenham Cheshire England

I have been trying to research the Perry Family from Davenham Cheshire England

I have found a John Perry who I believe is father of William Perry christened 25 May 1817

John's wife was an Elizabeth: I am trying to confirm that her parents were Thomas and Martha Hulse.
    I can find the marriage in 1805 but I am having difficulty as the Christening record of what I believe is their son John Pery (11 march 1810) seems to have a spouse record of hulse with spouse parents as Thomas and Martha would it be that this record is transcribed incorrectly. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated????

:p
    Cheran

cheran

I have never seen a christening record with the future spouse's parents names on it. I think you must be looking at a submitted record on familysearch IGI.

You need to find the original baptism record in the church records, not a submitted record.

OC

Comment

Right, think I've got it now!

You have been on the beta site, family search. I am not entirely sure I like this site as the source given is so vague.

This is the first time I have seen the names of the mother's parents. Usually, this is only done in nonconformist records and then you get the names of all four grandparents of the child being baptised.

As it isn't clear where the information has come from, I think you would need to track down the Davenham church records and look for yourself.

OC

Comment

The Davenham parish records pre 1870 have been transcribed in full and are available here:

Some parishes used the Dade version of registers for a short period which might be why the information is there. See here for more information:

Jean

Added: I think it looks like the Dade register, but the Additional information field isn't big enough! I think that you will need to see a copy of the register. You can send for a photocopy of the page for a small fee from Cheshire Records office if no-one is available to look this up:
        Last edited by JDGen; 16-10-10, 10:55.
        CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
        DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
        HRT: Gurney
        HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
        LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
        NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
        YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Comment

Be careful...I have researched a Hulse on the csc site and although in the Davenham parish , there are a family of Hulse from the village of Wharton as well as the Davenham branch...allan
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

This baptism is also on the Cheshire PR site, but the only additional information it gives is the names of the father's parents. Although the baptism was in Davenham, the family were resident in Wharton.

Comment

The marriage is on the same site, and shows the witnesses as Martha Hulse and Joseph Hough.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-10-10, 19:13.

Comment

Interesting - it hadn't dawned on me in my own Cheshire research that they were using Dade registers. I must look again at what I have!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Interesting - it hadn't dawned on me in my own Cheshire research that they were using Dade registers. I must look again at what I have!
                  Homer nods!!!
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

More on the Perry's

Thanks all for your input... It has been a great help!

I now have John Perry married Elizabeth Hulse 1805
                    Witness: Martha Hulse and Joseph Hough Goom Occ: Flatman?
                    Grooms parents: John & Catherine (Kitty) Perry of Minshall
                    Brides Parents: Thomas & Martha Hulse

Elizabeth (Betty) Born: 24 March 1786 Baptised 16 April 1786 Residence Wharton Baptised: Davenham

6 Children for John and Elizabeth Baptised: Davenham Residence: Wharton

Thomas Perry 1806
                    John Perry 1810
                    James Perry 1815
                    William Perry 1817
                    Mahilah Perry 1822
                    Ruben Perry 1824

William married Pheobe Hankey 1840 Davenham Residence: Wharton Groom's occ: Flatman
                    Witness: Uriah Robinson and Martha Hough

Grooms father: John Perry Occ: Flatman
                    Bride's father: Ralph Hankey Occ: Salt Boiler

Wiliiam and Pheobe have a daughter Mahalah baptised: 21 March 1842 St Chads at Over
                    William death: 22 September 1844, Winsford, Over

Allan it would interesting to see if your Hulse from Wharton are connected?

Again, you have all been a great help!
                    Last edited by cheran; 17-10-10, 22:22.
                    Cheran

Comment

Is it the occupations you're querying in your last post? If so there are definitions here

Flatman - "navigated a broad flat-bottomed boat used for transport, especially in shallow waters. Common in the salt trade."

Salt boiler - "a person who obtained salt by boiling water"
                      Jackie

Comment

A Mersey Flat was a trading vessel used on the Mersey (!) and also the Weaver and other navigable rivers in the area. The Weaver is quite badly affected in places by "flashes" where the land has subsided into a salt mine.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                          Is it the occupations you're querying in your last post? If so there are definitions here

Flatman - "navigated a broad flat-bottomed boat used for transport, especially in shallow waters. Common in the salt trade."

Salt boiler - "a person who obtained salt by boiling water"
                          thanks for that Jackie

Would it be worth looking up companies in the Salt trade in the Wharton area around the 1800-1840's do you think?
                          Cheran

Comment

I have noticed your interest in John Perry a while back. I don't know how far you have researched but I have found his name mentioned in the will of Thomas Hulse senior, of Wharton 24/2/1829. He mentions his son Thomas and his other children (lists sons and sons-in-law) Joseph Hough, John Perry, John Robinson, Job Hulse, Samuel Hulse, Samuel Seddon and Thomas Eaton. In the will of Thomas Hulse, junior, (1862) waterman of Wharton, Reuben Perry, Flatman is mentioned as witness. I am a descendent of Thomas Hulse. Hope this information is useful. SBL

Comment

Hello SBL and welcome to the forum,

To make contact with the poster you can click on their user name and a drop down box will allow you to send a private message to the poster but their e mail address must still be active and this poster has not been on the board for some time.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                              X