Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with reading a baptism please

Hi

My Mary Ann Phillips born 9th March 1837 and was baptised in Old Church, St Pancras. Parents Thomas & Mary Ann Phillips.

She has two baptism dates, 2nd April 1837 & 5th Nov 1837.

The latter one has been crossed out and I'm hoping someone can read why. I think it says ?? before will not ?? I can't make out what the first & last words are.

2nd April 1837

5th Nov 1837

(when I searched Ancestry, I found her as Mary Ann Philp)

looks like the first one has the name Jane crossed out?

Comment

I don't know what it means, but it looks like it says "End before will not pay". I have to say that in both entries the surname looks like Philp.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you

I thought it looked like 'before will not pay' I assume they had her baptised before on the 2nd April, then again on 5th Nov and wouldn't pay? Wonder why they wanted her baptised twice?

Yes, it does say Philp instead of Phillips. It changes down the generations to Phillips.

Comment

Unless the wrong one got crossed out? That she wasn't baptised the first time because they wouldn't (or couldn't) pay the fee.

To modern thought it sounds dreadful that there could ever have been a fee to baptise someone.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X