1851 Census Help with CHARLES ANTHONY BROWN/E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 Census Help with CHARLES ANTHONY BROWN/E

Thought I might ask if someone has 1851 Census access. May be household schedule 42.

Trying to find details of Charles Browne's mother. Charles was 13yrs (born approx 1828) on 1841 Census at Plymouth Citadel, Devon with his father Anthony James BROWN/E and a housekeeper Mary Wopper (Hopper?). But who/where was his mother?

His father Anthony James Brown/e born 1791 in Glasgow but ended up in Portsmouth Hampshire with family about 13 mths later. No marriages found in Hampshire for him until 1844.

Would be great if anyone could help.

hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

there are only 3 charles browns born about 1828 in devon in 1851.
    1) b.1830, stoke gabriel, devon, servant to william pollard in newton abbot
    2) b.1827, marhamchurch, cornwall, carpenter. wife anne b.ashwater, devon in 1825.
    3) b.1827, hollacombe, devon. farmer. wife jane b.hollacombe 1829.

Comment

i assume you have the 1851 details for anthony j. brown b.1793, glasgow, scotland. occupation superd c.r.e. department?

Comment

there's one charles brown in droxford, where anthony j. is, but hes born in liverpool, lancashire. what do you know of your charles?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          there's one charles brown in droxford, where anthony j. is, but hes born in liverpool, lancashire. what do you know of your charles?
          Droxford is definitely family territory. As Anthony James Browne was a superintendent with Corps of Royal Engineers possibly moving around with work, it could well be that Charles WAS born outside of Hampshire.

The information that would seal the deal for me would be information relating to Charles' mother / Anthony James's wife dying or being divorced. She did not appear to be in existence on the 1841 Census in Plymouth as there was a housekeeper. Anthony James married in 1844 to Martha Jannaway.

Does that tie in with anything you have?

Hope to be speaking to a relative of Martha Jannaway's tonight Melbourne time.
          hscott21c

Comment

you could try looking for marriages for anthony james in plymouth, if charles was born 1828, you'd be looking around 1820 i should think. maybe they married in scotland?

Comment

Thanks I will have a try at finding marriages in Plymouth now. I think Anthony James Browne was literally born in Glasgow then his family went back down to Portsmouth.
              hscott21c

Comment

what do you know of the brown family? anthony could be scottish, and his family, or just he emmigrated to england. i couldnt find a birth or marriage for anthony on the igi.

Comment

I'm pretty confident about Anthony James Browne being born in Glasgow 1791 and dying in Fareham, Hampshire in 1855 as have had a lot of help with FTF folk. Just can't nail Charles Anthony Brown/e. Thanks anyway.
                  hscott21c

Comment

Working...
                  X