Is this Matilda really a MAXWORTHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Matilda really a MAXWORTHY?

Ancestry has a Matilda MAXWORTHY in 1871 - b abt 1813 Surrey residing London.

I don't have an Ancestry sub at the moment - and didn't know I'd want to look her up (and wouldn't have had time, anyway) on my trip to the library this afternoon.

She doesn't seem to appear at all in 1871, according to FMP.

Is Ancestry correct? I don't want to waste my next visit looking for a Matilda MAXWORTHY in 1871 if she's not really there! ... It would be useful to have the ref if she is (but not at the expense of someone breaching the T&C)!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Answered my own question again! - she's down as MACWORTHY in FMP.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

St Paul Deptford

Joseph Lester 65
      Matilda Maxworthy 58 Sister Born Bermondsey, Surrey

Class: RG10; Piece: 743; Folio: 143; Page: 16

Comment

Thank you, Jane.

I'm not sure that she's really the Matilda I'm after - or even that the one I'm afterr even survived. Just trying to flesh out a tree.

Christine

Comment

Matilda Maxworthy

Hi Christine,
          I have research the Maxworthy Family Tree for a former Partner.
          There were two Matilda Maxworthy's that i have found.

1) On the IGI there is a Herni Maxworthy b. 1831/1832 to a Henri Maxworthy and his wife Matilda, both were born circa 1813. Of these i have not found births or a marriage.
          Matilda died in 1894 ad in 1858 she was working/owning a Corn Shop in Deptford.

2) There was a Matilda Sarah Maxworthy born in 1864 to Herni Maxworthy (son of the above) and his wife Sarah (nee Corbett).She died the same year.

should you require more information i can try and help you where i can.

Ian

Comment

Hello Ian - welcome to FTF! - and thank you for your kind offer.

I am really trying to spot Matilda Sarah Catherine RAIN (Sources in square brackets):
            bap 7 Feb 1813 St George, Southwark; d/o William RAIN, shoe maker, & Catherine Sophia; Kent St [PRp7#56; C010639; "Matilda Sarah RAIN" C022441]

She's not in a direct line of tree, but I have long since discovered that it's worth having some knowledge of siblings, because they sometimes give you clues to earlier generations: either by being with them on census night, or by having a name that links them up.

There's a possible Matilda RAXWORTHY in 1861 (RG09/113 fo162 p79) who seems about the right age, but I've been clutching at straws!

It's probably more likely that I've missed the burial for Matilda RAIN(E).

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine,

I have found these 2 bits of info on the IGI -
              Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

1)

Name: Matilda Sarah Catherine Rain
              Baptism/Christening Date: 07 Feb 1813
              Baptism/Christening Place: St. George the Martyr's, Southwark, Surrey, England
              Birth Date:
              Birthplace:
              Death Date:
              Name Note:
              Race:
              Father's Name: Wm. Rain
              Father's Birthplace:
              Father's Age:
              Mother's Name: Catherine Sophia
              Mother's Birthplace:
              Mother's Age:
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01063-9
              System Origin: England-EASy
              Source Film Number: 394841
              Reference Number: v 17

2)

Groom's Name: William Euing Craige
              Groom's Birth Date:
              Groom's Birthplace:
              Groom's Age:
              Bride's Name: Matilda Sarah Catherine Raine
              Bride's Birth Date:
              Bride's Birthplace:
              Bride's Age:
              Marriage Date: 28 Feb 1837
              Marriage Place: Auckland Saint Andrew,Durham,England
              Groom's Father's Name:
              Groom's Mother's Name:
              Bride's Father's Name:
              Bride's Mother's Name:
              Groom's Race:
              Groom's Marital Status:
              Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
              Bride's Race:
              Bride's Marital Status:
              Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00021-2
              System Origin: England-ODM
              Source Film Number: 434936
              Reference Number:

I hope this helps, will look for other info later

Ian
              Last edited by Guest; 10-12-10, 23:08.

Comment

Thank you - that's very helpful.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of trying the Family Search ß site. That looks helpful - it'll be the basis for following her through later censuses.

Christine

Comment

Christine you'll be able to view the images for the Bishops' Transcripts for the marriage on the beta site, the names of the witnesses might help.
                  Jay

Comment

The marriage is on page 959.

The marriage was by banns & witnesses were Susannah Rand or Rain(e) (it's not very clear) & James Hutchinson, he appears to be a serial witness.

Not sure if this link will take you directly to the image

Jay

Comment

It looks like Ian has found the right marriage as in 1851 38 year old Matilda Craig, born Middlesex is living in Staindrop, Co Durham. In 1841 she appears again as Craig in Francis Raine's household at Ferryhill, Co Durham.
                      Jay

Comment

Thank you, Jay. The link tried very hard to take me to the right place, but stalled. Fortunately, you had given me all the info I needed to get straight to the image without having to trawl.

Now you've found it, I realise I should have found it much sooner for myself! She's the non-RAINE name in with her little brother Francis, and his family, in 1841! I shall claim that I must have been interrupted in my thought processes.

Thank you for your help.

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-12-10, 17:02.

Comment

No probs Christine, if you need any help re Durham just give me a shout.
                          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                            No probs Christine, if you need any help re Durham just give me a shout.
                            That's very kind - and much appreciated. It's not my own tree, but I'm helping someone else and the names include RAIN(E), COOK(E), CRAIG(E), SNAITH, MURDY, GRAHAM...

I've already trawled quite a lot of the Bishops Transcripts for Durham, as found on the Family Search beta site.

The MURDY name is supposed to have Irish connections - and also a stage artiste.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X