Observations of a Transcriber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations of a Transcriber.

I have, in a couple of Marriage Certificates, Witnesses names that have no Family relevance whatsoever and I often wondered who they were. I am convinced now that they were church members/helpers who "stood in" for relations who couldnt or wouldnt be present for the Ceremony. Having been transcribing for a while now I often see the same witnesses names covering a number of years. This might be useful for some researchers.
    When I first began with addresses of Bride & Groom, I'd say Ah! He's married the girl next door or from down the Road until I realised that the frequency of these events were too many to be true although some were and I chuckle when I now see the Bride living at number 47 and the groom at 45.

Yes, I think it is as well to remember the "professional witness" - yet another reason to look at the original records for an event, helps to give you a feel of what went on at that particular venue and how accurately most things were recorded.

OC

Comment

I have to say that pre 1837 stuff in Norfolk villages i have researched would make you think certain villagers did nothing else but witness marriages. It's almost like they had free board and lodge in return for their mark.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes I've come accross a few like that. Mostly they have been alongside a witness who was a family member, and I used to think they must have been an obliging family friend lol! Until I observed them cropping up elsewhere too, on a regular basis some of them.
        Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

LOL Glen....exactly, they obviously got some renumeration though..........unless they just loved weddings!
          Jen

Comment

I reckon that, in some cases, they were actually church officers of some kind: warden, sexton, verger, or something of that kind.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

More than likely Christine but would they also crop up in different areas/villages?
              Jen

Comment

They were probably asked because a) they would be at the church anyway in an official capacity and/or b) would have been literate - as well as being a "respectable" witness. There's a whole raft of marriages in Farnham Royal, Bucks, with a "serial signer" called Wildsmith Badger. Who wouldn't want that on their cert?!

I also think a vast number of witnesses, relatives or not, were best men & bridesmaids. I was witness to my cousin's wedding when I was a bridesmaid. My gt grandfather's wedding witnesses were his youngest sister, his wife's youngest sister (I'm assuming they were bridesmaids) and a chap who conveniently was on the 1881 census staying with the family and was clearly a lifelong friend of gt grandfather. Guess he was the best man.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My 4x great grandfather seems to have been one of these "professional" witnesses. His signature appears quite frequently as a witness in the Streatley registers and I can't find that the people being married have any sort of family connection.
                  Jenny

Comment

Working...
                  X