London parish registers 1538-1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London parish registers 1538-1812

Ancestry have had the scanned images of registers in the above collection available to view for ages, but they weren't indexed - until now! The index appeared yesterday (I think) and I've already found a marriage record I'd been looking for for ages.

Happy Hunting!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Yes been on since yesterday morning. Already had some great success on this, and some of my native English Londoners traced back to the 1600's now, whereas before only my French Huguenots I could trace this far. The quality of transcription seems unusually good too for a commercial company, I'm very impressed.

Comment

I have, like Richard, been playing since yesterday!

As usual one could moan about mistranscriptions but anyone who has already searched the actual records at the LMA, elsewhere or on Ancestry will know how difficult it is.

The Ancestry improved facility for searching using wildcards has been an absolute Godsend!

Chris
      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

I was absolutely thrilled today with this new index as I found the baptism for my 3x great grandfather whose birth I had been trying to find for over 5 years and he was my last remaining direct ancestor to verify - yippee! )
        Margaret

Comment

Thats great Margaret

Comment

Found some possibles, including an intriguing Samuel Denison, son of Samuel Price Denison & Maria, bapt St Mary at Lambeth 1797. Interesting because husband's gt x 4 grandfather was a Samuel Price Denison, though the date and place isn't likely. This bit of his family are a real mystery, everything I find is intriguing and just raises more questions than answers.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Same here Nell, the question raising I mean. My Brandon line is so profusely abundant in many areas of London in the 18th & 19th centuries, with so many of them clumped together in the same area/street even, and sharing certain specific given names it's mind boggling trying to decipher who's who. You just know many of them have to be related but where do they fit in and where do you start lol!?
              Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

I've found a few to slot into various trees. The trouble is that the library system is a tad slow, now that I don't have a personal sub.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

im not having much luck, ive got more or less common names, and there arnt occupations in the parishes im looking at. im not finding anything i can say, looks likely either. maybe my lot were from westminster? i just thought that maybe ancestry would have some westminster records pre 1812?

Comment

Earlier records often have less info than the civil registration: sometimes only the date and the names.

The Ancestry records are from the LMA, which means mainly the City of London. Westminster parishes, being not in the City, are unlikely to appear in the LMA records, apart from exceptional cases - of which there are a few.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

H'mm, so far I haven't found as much as I was expecting...I'd already visited the LMA several times and it looks like I'd found most of the records already.

Even people who insist on every census that they were born in Shoreditch, Bethnal Green etc are missing *sigh*

Comment

i know that frustration. some records are there, and you know others should be too, but theyre just not!

Comment

Absolutely, kylejustin! Sooo frustrating!

Comment

I've just had the trailer-email. I think that the non-conformist records may have to be searched separately. Is that the problem?

Christine

Comment

The baptism I found earlier fits with ex's gt x 4 grandfather Samuel Price Denison being the father and I've just found two more sons with different mothers, same dad, one has the name Henry George Hannibal Denison!

More digging to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                The baptism I found earlier fits with ex's gt x 4 grandfather Samuel Price Denison being the father and I've just found two more sons with different mothers, same dad, one has the name Henry George Hannibal Denison!

More digging to do.
                                Now there is a name!

Christine

Comment

Indeed! He doesn't seem to have wanted to use it though!

Comment

I have several baptisms for Isleworth, which someone got for me from the original PRs, but they are not showing up. :( I really wanted to check them and possibly get further back with my Thomas line.

Have managed to find a marriage for one of my 3XGreat grandfather's daughters, which helps to move her on a bit further.
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                    X