Marriage help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage help please

In 1901 Charles Cox is a widower living with his mother-in-law in Birmingham (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...16561119&ftm=1, RG13, Piece 2871 folio 27 Page 1).

I traced back his mother-in-law and found that the other daughter was Eliza, born 1874 in Birmingham. I have found a death registration for Eliza Cox in Aston, Mar quarter 1898, but cannot find any trace of a marriage between Charles and Eliza. In 1891 Eliza is still at home, aged 17.

Can anyone find their marriage?

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

there is a marriage between a Charles Cox and a Eliza Taylor Dec 1891 in Birmingham 6D 213

Comment

Thanks Val, been having a look, but at the moment can't definitely say whether that one is connected or not. Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of Elizas who married Charles Cox so it is just a matter of going through them all I think I'll put this one on a back burner until a time I am really bored!

Thanks again

Linda
      Linda

Comment

there are a few but not that many in Birmingham good luck

Comment

Hi

You haven't mentioned that Eliza's surname was Brown which is needed when looking for a marriage. I have checked back on earlier censuses in case her mother had re-married but Eliza appears to be Brown as does her sister Harriet

Comment

Sorry for that slip Carole, thanks for pointing it out. I think I had spent so long looking for this couple my brain had fried! Yes it was Eliza Brown and Charles Edwin Cox, to give him his full name, that I am having trouble finding a marriage for. As Charles and Eliza were both single in 1891, and Eliza was definitely dead by 1901, this narrows down the time scale, but still doesn't seem to help much.

Thanks

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Have you found ELiza Brown on all census and the same for Charles Edwin, as single? Are their births registered as Eliza Brown and Charles Edwin Cox? Might they have not married?

Comment

Eliza Brown was born in 1874 in Birmingham, and I have her on both the 1881, (aged 7) and 1891 (aged 17) censuses. In 1881 she is with both parents and sister Harriett, and in 1891 with widowed mother Mary and sister Harriett.

Charles Edwin Cox was born in 1868 in Sandford on Thames, Oxfordshire, in 1871 and 1881 he is with his family, in 1891 he is a boarder, unmarried, with a family in Aston. In 1901 he is widowed and living with his Mother-in-law, Mary Brown and her daughter Harriett, and with his 4 year old daughter Annie Elizabeth Cox. Eliza only had the two daughters in all censuses, so I am assuming that it was Eliza that Charles married.

Thanks for your help.

Linda
                Linda

Comment

I've been having a look Linda but I can't find a marriage. Eliza seems to have died 1 year after Annie Elizabeth was born doesn't she. Are these the right birth for Annie E and death for Eliza?

Jan - March 1897 - Annie Elizabeth Cox - Aston 6d 330 (Birth)

Jan - March 1898 - Eliza Cox - aged 24 - Aston 6d 239 (Death)

I can't find a birth for a Charles Edwin Cox at the right time and place either. Do you have the details? The nearest I can find born in Sandford on Thames, which comes under Abingdon, is just Charles Cox (no Edwin). July- Sept 1868 - Charles Cox - Abingdon 2c 281
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes Chrissie, that's Charles, his middle name was supplied by another contact. In the 1911 census, Charles conveniently filled in the children boxes, and said that he had had 2 children, one of whom had died - possibly another one by Eliza.

Those are also the registrations that I have found, that seem to match all the criteria. Thanks for trying.

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

Have you followed Mary Brown back to where she is on census with her husband? And checked his side of the family to make sure there are no other children living with his parents? I have two cases where the child is never actually with the parents, but grandparents, on census, and then when married with their family then.

Comment

Who did Mary marry, was it William Brown, and have you found the marriage? I think I have her on the 81 and there is a gap between the eldest child and Eliza. It may be that Eliza may have had a different surname, if Mary was married before, or if Eliza was ilegitimate, but not Harriet. Have you been able to follow Mary back before she was married? I can't check as I am not subbed to any census at the mo', sorry.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions boxer, I will try and see if I can prove Eliza's birth.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

Working...
                          X