Wills in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills in the UK

Is there somewhere inparticular you can search to see if someone had a will? In the UK that is.
    Thanks

Depends what time period you are talking about.

Ancestry has just added the National Probate Calendar, covering the years from 1861 - 1941.
    If you are looking at something before that then you could check the Death Duty registers on Findmypast - search here

If you find anything on either of these resources you can apply for a copy of the will/probate/letter of administration - or you can ask for a search to be done.
    Full details and application form can be found here
    Elaine

Comment

I sent for copies of 3 wills which cost £5 each. They were a long time sending them, about 5 - 6 weeks, and when they did arrive I was very disappointed in the quality of the scanning, not helped by the solicitor speak type of language.
      Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

There are also a number of images of Wills (1,016,192 of them!) on Documents Online...http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Documents mostly cost £3.50 to download, however large/small they are.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=117 The National Library of Wales has Welsh Wills which I have found and viewed on line and then purchased the copies cheaply.
          Wills are readable on line
          Edna
          Last edited by clematised; 19-10-10, 17:59. Reason: aditional information

Comment

Working...
          X