Seeking info on two Master Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking info on two Master Mariners

Seeking any info on two Master Mariners... Joseph & Alexander Robertson .Joseph was my grt grandfather born c1825( son of Alexander) married Ellen Elizabeth Waters 1857 in London they had six children all born in Glasgow area...Ellen died 1905 in Glasgow.
    Grateful for any help to trace dates and place of birth/death of my ancestors.

Phanuel,
    Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I think it might be better if we start a new thread with your request. Hopefully some of our members can help you.
    I will send you a private message to give you the link to the new thread.
    Elaine

Comment

Have you seen this thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...-mariners-1860

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think that was the thread that Phanuel posted his initial query on. I thought it might be better on a thread of its own so it was more obvious to members that might be able to help!
        Elaine

Comment

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i.../Mariners.html If it is the Marine History that you need then join this list

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            I think that was the thread that Phanuel posted his initial query on. I thought it might be better on a thread of its own so it was more obvious to members that might be able to help!
            Ah, that makes sense - as does the separate thread idea.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I assume that Phanuel has found the Scottish BMD records on ScotlandsPeople and downloaded the register entries. They are often much more informative than English ones. For example birth entries give details of the marriage.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have checked Scotspeople but find it too costly to acess all birth records for Joseph LMA were contacted re marriage details but could not give the date & place of his birth..Have also posted requests on various locations in Scotland on Curiousfox.com site with no results so far thus am hoping that merchant marine records may give some clues to go on.

Comment

Have you found Joseph and Alexander on any census - this should give approx year and place of birth.
                  With this information, and good searching techniques on Scotlands People, you shouldn't find it too difficult to locate birth records.
                  Have you checked the International Genealogical Index on www.familysearch.org - this contains quite a few Scottish records.

The marriage certificate of Joseph shows he was of full age (not very helpful!) but if you haven't already got it then you can view it online via Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...28&recoff=9+10
                  Elaine

Comment

Scottish BMDs aren't as expensive as English ones and contain a lot more information. Provided you can narrow the initial search down to 25 or less people, it'll only cost £1.20 a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      Scottish BMDs aren't as expensive as English ones and contain a lot more information. Provided you can narrow the initial search down to 25 or less people, it'll only cost £1.20 a go.
                      I tend to try to have as wide a list as possible, while still having, say, a single page of hits. That way, you can go back and use the other hits if you need them, without paying again for a search!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        I tend to try to have as wide a list as possible, while still having, say, a single page of hits. That way, you can go back and use the other hits if you need them, without paying again for a search!
                        I do too, but I was really making the point that you get plenty of bang for the buck, especially with the improved search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          Have you found Joseph and Alexander on any census - this should give approx year and place of birth.
                          With this information, and good searching techniques on Scotlands People, you shouldn't find it too difficult to locate birth records.
                          Have you checked the International Genealogical Index on www.familysearch.org - this contains quite a few Scottish records.

The marriage certificate of Joseph shows he was of full age (not very helpful!) but if you haven't already got it then you can view it online via Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...28&recoff=9+10
                          Have checked all Census returns Joseph does not appear on any of them..IGI also produces nothing of any help so far.. have not been able to search on Ancestry as can't access for some reason

Comment

Where have you found the information that Joseph was born circa 1825?

Can you pinpoint a time when Joseph may have died by checking the census for his wife Ellen Elizabeth to see when her marital status changes from married to widow?
                            Elaine

Comment

Didn't find any info but as he wed in1857 took a guess that his birth year was c 1825 perhaps I should have made it later by 7or8 years.. Census Govan 1881 Ellen shown with six children ..1901 Pollockshield,Glasgow shows Ellen age 64 widowed(annuitant) with one unmarried daughter age 32 suggesting Joseph died somewhere between those two dates... I did access a marine death a while back but the date did not fit as I found another child by Joseph born after the death at sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Phanuel View Post
                                I did access a marine death a while back but the date did not fit as I found another child by Joseph born after the death at sea.
                                Did you check the timing in case the baby was conceived before he went to sea?

Comment

Seeking info on two Master Mariners Joseph & Alexander Robertson

Marine death was recorded at sea JAN 5 1867 this can be discounted as Joseph fathered three further children 1868,1871,1872(there may be others)..Census returns 1871,1881,1891 do not include his name I assume that he was away at sea on each occasion..CENSUS 1901 shows Ellen as annuitant which suggests that Joseph died beween mid 1867 and 1901

Comment

How do you know he fathered the children?

OC

Comment

His name is shown on Birth Certs as FATHER must assume this to be the fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phanuel View Post
                                        His name is shown on Birth Certs as FATHER must assume this to be the fact!!
                                        Depends a bit on who registered the births. If the mother did, and didn't happen to mention that the husband had died some years before, there's no reason for the registrar not to follow normal practice and attribute the children to the man to whom the mother was married.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X