switching between Baptism and Christening, St Lukes Old street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching between Baptism and Christening, St Lukes Old street

In the records from 1800-1810 the records switch between Baptism and Christening in mid 1803. Ive had a look on google and can see the difference between the two but cant understand why a church would stop with one and start with the other. Does anyine have any insight into this ?
    St Lukes, Old Street, Islington.

Hi James84- not sure of the answer, but wonder if the Diocese of London could help

Comment

I thought St Luke Old Street was Finsbury rather than Islington? I have a lot of ancestors recorded there.
      Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Hi - there is a St Lukes Old St, Islington, which is now the home of the LSO - but, when looking for bits of info, I also noticed there were a few St Lukes Old Street!

Comment

Thanks naomiatt, I didn't realise that. I know all the records for St Lukes Old st. Finsbury are now at the LMA.
          Jen

Comment

Hi - saying that, there is this which does mention Finsbury as well -

and http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/M...y/churches.htm mentions a few St Lukes Old Street inc
            SAINT LUKE, OLD STREET, FINSBURY, ISLINGTON hmmm...
            and when you google the name, there are photos etc e.g
            St Luke is an historic Anglican church building in the London Borough of Islington. It is now used as a concert hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and known as LSO St Luke's. The church is sited on Old Street, north of the City of London, and was built to relieve the church of St Giles-without-Cripplegate, Cripplegate, under the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches, an attempt to meet the religious needs of London's burgeoning 18th century population. It was completed and the corresponding parish of St Luke's created in 1733. The church was designed by John James, though the obelisk spire, west tower and flanking staircase wings were by Nicholas Hawksmoor. My ancestor John George Lecluse (1777-1847) and his wife Mary are buried here. I was hoping to find a gravestone, but sadly most of them are unreadable now. So maybe his is amongst them.

Comment

I'm only aware of the one St Lukes Old Street, Finsbury. It's in the wider London borough of Islington though I think, which maybe accounts for confusion?

Comment

Was it the same vicar - could be one vicar was high church and the other not. Thought baptism and christening were the same thing - just different choice of name.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

That's what I have always believed too JBee....another choice of name. I can't see what other difference there would be.
                  Funnily enough Richard, I've just been searching ancestry's bapts, marriages & burials 1538-1812 which have just been completed and put up on Toms' thread on General, and I found some ancestors who were baptised at St Luke Old st. Finsbury, which is linked with Islington, a fact I never knew before.

Many thanks for those links too naomiatt, there is mention of St Giles Cripplegate too.....another fact I wasn't aware of......which definately now confirms some of my ancestors correct birth/death places.
                  Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 13-10-10, 16:48.
                  Jen

Comment

I don't suppose anyone knows if St Lukes burial grounds are still open to the public?
                    Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
                      I don't suppose anyone knows if St Lukes burial grounds are still open to the public?
                      St Lukes was one of those churchyards which became hugely crowded in early victoran times. It had been remodelled, and altered many times and only exists now as an open space around the old church building. When the LSO took over there was an archaelogical survey, http://lso.co.uk/downloadables/lumps/upload/277-12.pdf which included a study of causes of death, addresses of people buried there etc.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Back to James' original query I've looked at the 1800-1810 images on Ancestry and they seem to be consistently headed Christenings. Where did you see Baptisms listed James?
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you for the link JudithM. Had a look through and what an insight it gives into their lives, illnesses and deaths.
                          Jen

Comment

I've only ever seen the word "baptisms" on the front cover of church registers, although I've heard and read of many everyday instances where the word christening has been used as an alternative.

In the case in question, is the word "christening" actually written in the register for some entries?

Jay

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Ok. I've had another read on the web about the 2. Some say theyre the same and some say theyre not but similiar. I guess I comes down how the individual interprets each of them, Well thats the impression I'm getting. Not a big deal anyway, I was just curious thats all.
                              I've just had another look at the records and the they are headed as Christening but the ancestry index has them as baptism's, page 48 and 52. Sorry about that, I was only looking at the bottom index that had been transcribed by ancestry because my ISP has slowed my connection speed so now im on pre dial up speeds for a week.
                              thanks for looking anyway.

Comment

Coming to this a bit late, but I seem to remember the last time we discussed this (on here? somewhere else?) that we came to the conclusion there is a hair-splitting difference between baptism and chriistening, which is really of little practical interest to us as family historians.

OC

Comment

St. Lukes Old Street is used for concerts but I don't think its open during the day. The remains of the burial ground can be walked through but I don't remember there being many graves. You can zoom in and see it on google street maps.

~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Last time I saw St. Lukes was when I was working in the area - early 1980s! Of course it was a bombed-out ruin then.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X