Whats this name.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats this name.

Im looking at the St Andrew Holborn parish records 1792-1805. Theres a name on the bottom of the page (31). Its the second last and I cant make out the mothers name.
    Thomas George son of Thomas & ................ Mortimer, Southampton Buildings.
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/View.aspx?dbid=1624&path=City+of+London.St+Andrew+ Holborn.1792-1805.31

Also what was at southampton buildings? there seems to be alot of people from there in this se of records.

cheers

Hi James,
    Your link isn't working for me so can't help. I would guess Southampton Buildings is either a tenement block or maybe a workhouse? If you can you look at the description of the enumeration district and that might throw some light on it.
    Margaret

Comment

Could it be Lucretia?
      Southampton Buildings are just to the east of Lincoln's Inn and Chancery Lane. Now its an area of offices and shops and googling shows that it was used as lodgings and offices for people connected to the legal profession at the time when Thomas was baptised. e.g. Charles and Mary Lamb lodged there with a law stationer called Matthew Gutch between 1800 and 1801.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I'd say her name was Lucretia.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks for looking. I thought that it was Lucretia but 1, ive never heard of that name before and 2, it just doesnt look right. Are one of the letters silent, maybe the C?

Comment

The only Lucretia I've ever heard of was Lucretia Borgia who was the daughter of a Pope (!) and involved in all sorts of scandals in renaissance times. Its pronounced Loo-kree-shah
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

No it's a hard C. You pronounce it like Luke with the sound 'reesher' at the end! It's a really old name and best known probably for it's connection to the Borgia family who were renowned for their evil conniving ways!! LOL

Margaret

Comment

Snap Judith!

Comment

Thanks again. Well I hopefully its not the family im looking for, the surename is a bit different but I have seen it spelt like it before. If anyone can find a Thomas Mortyn 1795-1864, it say he was from St Andrew Holborn in his will. Im really looking for his brother to get his parents name but I cant find Henry's baptism anywhere. Most of the documents have the family around the clerkenwell area, mainly St Lukes.

Comment

Hi - there are these deaths for a Lucretia Mortimer using the exact spelling
                    Deaths Mar 1841
                    MORTIMER Lucretia Archer Westminster 1 381
                    Deaths Dec 1872
                    MORTIMER Lucretia Maria 79 W. Ham 4a 19 - probably too young to be a mother if the child was born 1792-1805
                    and quite a lot of Lucretia's...must have been a very popular name in the 1800's.

Have you seen these for a Henry Mortyn -
                    Deaths Sep 1845 MORTYN Henry Samuel Clerkenwell 3 62

Deaths Sep 1853 Mortyn Henry Clerkenwell 1b 311
                    Last edited by naomiatt; 13-10-10, 12:04.

Comment

OH's Gx3-g-father's 3rd wife was Lucretia ADAMS née HUKE. The marriage is in the St John's, Wapping, registers in June 1841.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Roman mythology of the name is explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucretia

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Naomi. I have them records. I have found alot on the family over the last few months since I upgraded my ancestry subscription, But still havnt been able to get back the next generation. I havnt been able to find Henrys baptism so I can get his parents names. I had a pretty good lead on his older brother who on his will he is recorded as being from st Andrew Holborn, I'm still looking but. I have found a family recorded at st Andrew holborn with the corect dates and first names but the surename is different. I'm looking for Mortyn but the family I have found is Mortimer. I dont think the name could be miss spelt or pronounced as different but. Oh well Ill just have to keep plugging away at it. It's been 2.5 years in the makeing so far. Funny enough it's this part that Im working on that has taking so long.

Comment

I'm looking for Mortyn but the family I have found is Mortimer. I dont think the name could be miss spelt or pronounced as different but.
                            I'll leave my footer in place this time - it highlights the fact that there are some extraordinary name variants. MORTYN/MORTIMER sounds unlikely, but do make sure that you note all the info about them and where you found it so that you can go back and check. You just might find that they're yours after all, and it will make you really sick if you've lost the route to check it out!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X