lost seamen in 1940s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost seamen in 1940s

i have a norberto gonzalez who was born roughly 1906 he married mary ann williams 1942 they had a son nicholas in 1945 but norberto was presumed lost at sea, he was a captain with the navy, any ideas where i can look or find any details.

If he was lost at sea during WW2 (1939-45), you could look on the Commonealth War Graves Website (they have memorials for those lost at sea, too). Tower Hill Memorial in London commemorates Merchant Seaman lost in the 2 World Wars, and the Portsmouth Naval Memorial commemorates (British) Naval Personnel with no known graves.

If he died after WW2, you should probably start with the relevant Navy Personnel. They would be able to tell you where to start and what dates they consider too recent to release information.

Di
    Last edited by dicole; 21-10-10, 08:59. Reason: spelling
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Kartrix I checked with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, no details of your man there, however here are two suggestions regarding the possibility of finding out information. One is a Merchant Navy website called Red Duster www.red-duster.co.uk/ and the second is http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/ at Lowestoft (my mother was stationed there during the war and contributed the only female "Veterans' Story to that website). Good luck!

Comment

Not sure if you are aware Dicole but there are other CWGC naval memorials to the missing, one of which, The Plymouth Memorial, commemorates the Australian missing of both wars?

Comment

Where were they living at the time? It might have been noted in the local press.. and sometimes in the London Gazette.

Comment

gonzalez

they were living in bristol uk

Comment

Working...
            X