Going Round in Circles in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Round in Circles in 1911

Hi - trying to find a family in 1911...and not having much luck.
    Marks/Myer/Meir/Meyer Levy passed away 1918 aged 34, Kensington.
    Dinah/Diana/Dina Levy nee Sagorsky, his wife, passed away 1925 aged 36, Kensington.
    They had a son called Abraham/Abe who was born approx 1908 in Zagore/Zagare, that might show as Russia..this may not be 100% accurate as it's based on his gravestone..he told family he came to the UK when he was 6 months old. He also had a sister called Ettie/Ada/Ida. She may or may not show in 1911 as there is a discrepancy on her age. May have been born Sept qrtr 1910 in Whitechapel or even after April, 1911. Can anybody find the family in 1911?

Just had a look for you but can't find anything at all.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks for looking Margaret...I was wondering if Dinah was recorded as something else..Dora maybe?? Not sure..then maybe that Abe was there with just one parent at that time in any rate..frustrating one..

Comment

Have you got any certificates with addresses..that might help the search, especially the 1918 death

Linda

Comment

Hi Linda - when Myer/Marks passed away in Dec,1918 - Place of Death: St Luke's House, 14 Pembridge Square (hospital) Under occupation it says: of 20 Colville Gardens W11 (Could be place of work?), Tailor. Informant was Henry Lewis of 212 Kensington Park Road. When Dinah/Diana Levy passed away in July, 1923, address was 23 Convent Gardens which I believe came under Kensington, W11.

Comment

Still looking. On Henry does it give a relationship. His address is in a VERY expensive part of London. Colville Gardens and Convent gardens almost next door to each other. I wondered if Henry was once a Levy (was Lewis). People took to changing names if they thought any stigma was attached

Do you have them on any other census?

Linda
            Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 12-10-10, 09:53.

Comment

I was watching the Timewatch programme about the WW1 "blitz". BEcause the Zeppelin bombnig raids were killing non-combatants, the Germans came in for some serious hate propaganda in the press. Anyone with a German-sounding name was likely to be attacked, and their business vandalised.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine - yes, couldn't have been an easy time for them.

Hi Linda - yes as well, I wondered about Henry, it doesn't say his relationship...unfortunately, I don't have them in 1901..I don't think they were in the country then. Is it poss to see a combination of first names that could fit without using a surname?

Comment

Yes it is possible. I have tried this already. Out this morning but will have another look when I get home

Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda....

Comment

Could this be them
                      Mac Levy 1876 Russia
                      Deborah Levy 1879 Spitalfields
                      Clara 1902 Stepney
                      Millie 1904 Stepney
                      Rachel 1906 Stepney
                      Etty 1909 Whitechapel
                      Last edited by Guest; 15-10-10, 14:22.

Comment

Hi Val - thanks for the info - does it give an address by any chance?

Comment

Hi Val - I don't think it's the right family, but thanks for sending me the info. Abe was a year or so older than his sister, Ettie/ Ada/Ida....and I don't believe there were more children at that timeframe..

Comment

Working...
                          X