Check out this Website *UPDATED PLEASE SEE POST #7*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out this Website *UPDATED PLEASE SEE POST #7*

Found this website in one of the history mags, www.genhound.co.uk.

Seems to have a number of different records to your normal Ancestry/Find my past websites.
    Pay to view credits, 60 credit for £3, each record viewed cost about 10/15 credits.
    I've tested this site and found my G-G-Grandfather purchased a game licence back in 1745, something I did'nt know about.
    You can register for free and enter the code FHM1908 in the promotional code box to gain 25 free test credit before parting with any money.

Steve.
    Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 28-10-10, 18:00.
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Oh, this is VERY odd!

Some years ago - nine or ten - I started doing a database of every mention of "HOLDEN" I could find anywhere and quickly found my way into A2A, which kept me going for years.

I have just used the search term "HOLDEN" on the site you've given above and I am pretty sure this is stuff taken from the old, now defunct, A2A site - I remember some of the documents AND I remember how b***** annoying it was to have every quarter session "holden" this day, lol.

This is good, but considering the information used to be FREE, when it was A2A...

OC

Comment

All the A2A stuff is now on the TNA site, still free, surely?

Comment

Hopefully this link works, a list of all the records accessible.

Last edited by JayG; 11-10-10, 21:18. Reason: spelling
        Jay

Comment

Mary

Yes, the A2A stuff is now on TNA, which means that it is lost to me for ever, lol, as I cannot fathom out how to search that site.

The other thing which has happened is that the A2A stuff was often almost a complete document transcribed. TNA show only the first line or so, presumably so that you have to buy it to get at the meat of it.

EDIT - That is not to say that this site (Genhound) isn't a very useful resource - thankyou Steve for pointing it up!

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 11-10-10, 21:20. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

I'm with you OC - I find the TNA site very difficult to manoeuvre around.

They seem to have so many records broken up in to so many divisions, it is all very confusing to a lay person.

Thankyou for this site Steve - I will have a good look at it, they certainly hold a lot of records too.

Comment

Genhound data not taken from an old A2A site

Thanks very much for mentioning Genhound on this forum Steve, I'm glad you found it useful and hope others do too. I am concerned however at the comment from one of the members that they think the data on Genhound is taken from a defunct A2A site. As owner and operator of Genhound could I make it quite clear that this is absolutely untrue. The data from Genhound comes from old printed publications (often purchased at considerable expense) that are scanned, checked and loaded into a searchable database with great effort and care. Records include directories, parish register transcripts, sessions records, will indexes, marriage licence registers, poll books etc.

Without more specific information I cannot explain exactly how "Old Crone Holden" got the impression that Genhound had extracted data from a defunct A2A site. However, as some of the publications on Genhound are indexes of material held in various archives, such as will indexes, it is possible that some of these indexes can also be found through the Access to Archives site. As people have already commented, the sites are massive and constantly changing so it would be difficult for Genhound to establish whether a printed indexes is already available. It is not in our interests to waste our efforts publishing material on our pay per view site that is freely available elsewhere so we would not do so knowingly.

I hope this clarifies the issue for the forum readers and that "Old Crone Holden's" comment does not put people off visiting Genhound. The search is free and there is no obligation to purchase anything. It's certainly worth having a look, like Steve, you never know what you might find.

Good luck with your family history research
              Ellen

Comment

Thank you Steve certainly worth a look and a possible registration it's nice to get more FH sites and it takes a lot of time and effort to set these sites up you can have loads of data but it takes tenacity to organise and distribute online.

Comment

Genhound

How very clever of you to find my posting about your site.

I think if you refer to my post above, post 5#, you will see that I have said I think your site is a GOOD thing.

Thankyou for clarifying that you have indexes on your site which are the same as those on A2A - as I thought, I did indeed recognise some documents.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by fitzjohn1001 View Post
                    Found this website in one of the history mags, www.genhound.co.uk.

Seems to have a number of different records to your normal Ancestry/Find my past websites.
                    Pay to view credits, 60 credit for £3, each record viewed cost about 10/15 credits.
                    I've tested this site and found my G-G-Grandfather purchased a game licence back in 1745, something I did'nt know about.
                    You can register for free and enter the code FHM1908 in the promotional code box to gain 25 free test credit before parting with any money.

Steve.
                    I tried to join with that code and it says not right code , also I didnt get the security question bit ,,,?? said my answers didnt match ehh I know they did lol
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                      I tried to join with that code and it says not right code , also I didnt get the security question bit ,,,?? said my answers didnt match ehh I know they did lol

oooh I'll try to join and see what happens.

I joined fine try again borobabs.
                      Last edited by Guest; 28-10-10, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Genhound View Post
                        Without more specific information I cannot explain exactly how "Old Crone Holden" got the impression that Genhound had extracted data from a defunct A2A site. However, as some of the publications on Genhound are indexes of material held in various archives, such as will indexes, it is possible that some of these indexes can also be found through the Access to Archives site. As people have already commented, the sites are massive and constantly changing so it would be difficult for Genhound to establish whether a printed indexes is already available. It is not in our interests to waste our efforts publishing material on our pay per view site that is freely available elsewhere so we would not do so knowingly.

I hope this clarifies the issue for the forum readers and that "Old Crone Holden's" comment does not put people off visiting Genhound. The search is free and there is no obligation to purchase anything. It's certainly worth having a look, like Steve, you never know what you might find.

Good luck with your family history research
                        Ellen
                        Have you got a definitive list of what is on your site?

I can't seem to find a database list.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                          oooh I'll try to join and see what happens.

I joined fine try again borobabs.
                          Cheers Maggie Im in, god knows what I did wrong 1st time , maybe with head been all over the place with this maternity watch lol;;
                          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post
                            Hopefully this link works, a list of all the records accessible.

http://www.genhound.co.uk/latest_doc...t=List+records

Looks like they have lots of stuff on there but it would be useful if the list was alphabetical.
                            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post
                              Looks like they have lots of stuff on there but it would be useful if the list was alphabetical.
                              Yes it would help

Comment

To see a complete list of Genhound records do either of the following:

1. Go to http://www.genhound.co.uk/latest_docs.php and choose the earliest date available in the date box, choose which order you want the list in, eg by date added (default), alphabetical or time period, the click on the "List Records" button.

2. Use this link to see an alphabetical list:

Hope this helps
                                Cheers
                                Ellen

Comment

ahah thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                  X