Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nora Murphy - stepdaughter of Leopold Jenner (Avebury Manor, Wiltshire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nora Murphy - stepdaughter of Leopold Jenner (Avebury Manor, Wiltshire)

I am a National Trust Volunteer Guide at Avebury Manor, Wiltshire. The Jenners lived there from 1902.
    No-one has ever spoken of a child being there with the Jenners. However, the 1901 census refers to 8 year old Nora Murphy, stepdaughter of Leopold Jenner (daughter of his wife Nora Jenner [nee Stewart] a widow when she married him in 1899).
    I cannot trace Nora Murphy's birth but know from the census that this was in London - Bulstrode St W.
    Is any one able to help please?
    Jill

Bulstrode Street is in Marylebone.

What about this entry from freeBMD
    Births Mar 1893
    Murphy Nora May A S
    Marylebone volume 1a, page 565

... and welcome to Family Tree Forum!
    Elaine

Comment

Umm, on second thoughts - not sure about that one.

There is a marriage on freeBMD which could be the same person
      Marriages Mar 1911
      Chitty John A
      Maurice John K
      Murphy Nora M A S O'N
      O'Neil-Murphy Nora M A S

Richardson Minnie E
      Paddington 1a 108

Do you have any link to the O'Neil part of the surname?
      Elaine

Comment

From Leopold's obituary in The Times, Nora senior's full name was Nora Helen Gertrude Stewart, and was still unmarried & with parents in 1891. Not sure if that helps with little Nora though!

Comment

Here she is, listed twice, no wonder, lol:

March Q 1893 Marylebone 1a 565

Nora M A S O'Neill-Murphy

And the previous marriage:

Sept 1891 Westminster 1a 1058
          Nora Helen G Stewart
          Samuel Joseph F B O'N Murphy

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Bulstrode Street is in Marylebone.

What about this entry from freeBMD
            Births Mar 1893
            Murphy Nora May A S
            Marylebone volume 1a, page 565

... and welcome to Family Tree Forum!
            Thank you so much! I will certainly check that out. I had searched on freeBMD and hadn't found this.
            Jill

Comment

Jenner / O'Neil Murphy etc

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              From Leopold's obituary in The Times, Nora senior's full name was Nora Helen Gertrude Stewart, and was still unmarried & with parents in 1891. Not sure if that helps with little Nora though!

Thank you very much - I know that Leonora (always known as "Nora") Helen Gertrude married for the first time in the July qtr of 1891 but was a widow, marrying Leopold Jenner, in the September qtr of 1899. I picked up Nora junior, aged 8, from the 1901 census.

I have not found Leopold's obituary in the Times- where would you recommend me to go for that please? I was wondering about subscribing to FamilyLink? Many thanks again!
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Umm, on second thoughts - not sure about that one.

There is a marriage on freeBMD which could be the same person
                Marriages Mar 1911
                Chitty John A
                Maurice John K
                Murphy Nora M A S O'N
                O'Neil-Murphy Nora M A S

Richardson Minnie E
                Paddington 1a 108

Do you have any link to the O'Neil part of the surname?
                No, sadly I don't - at the moment I haven't found first husband, Samuel Joseph F B O'Neil Murphy's death. I think I will definitely send for the 1911 Marriage Certificate for what could be Nora junior though - thank you for alerting me to that!
                Jill

Comment

Thank you!
                  Jill

Comment

Originally posted by JLWiltshire View Post
                    I have not found Leopold's obituary in the Times- where would you recommend me to go for that please? I was wondering about subscribing to FamilyLink? Many thanks again!
                    I can get The Times online at home via my county library service by using my library ticket number. I'm sure your county library will have details on their website if they suscribe, or some larger libraries can give you access at the library computers.

Looks like you are in luck - Wiltshire have both Times Online and 19th Century British Library Newspapers.

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 12-10-10, 13:40.

Comment

Great! Thanks so much for that.
                      Jill

Comment

Is there any trace in the LMA records on Ancestry?

Also is there any suggestion of a connection for Nora Stewart MURPHY, b 1893 q2 Lewisham?

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think the initial suggestions look much more likely - but note that there's another marriage for her in 1921.

The 1911 groom was John K MAURICE
                          In 1921, the groom was Thomas C SCOONES

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just found this on TNA:

Item reference J 77/1601/9671
                            Divorce Court File: 9671. Appellant: John Kindersley Maurice. Respondent: Nora May Anita Stewart O'Neil Maurice. Co-respondent: R C McKnight. Type: Husband's petition for divorce (hd).
                            Covering dates 1920
                            Christine

Comment

London Gazette, re John Kindersley Maurice

Gazette Issue 27415 published on the 11 March 1902. Page 5 of 84 - not quite sure what this was - presumably there's a heading further back... could be about becoming an officer?
                              John Kindersley Maurice, Gent., late Private
                              Royal Wiltshire Imperial Yeomanry. Dated
                              14th January, 1902.
                              Gazette Issue 29105 published on the 16 March 1915. Page 4 of 10
                              THE ARMY SERVICE CORPS.
                              The undermentioned to be temporary
                              Lieutenants: —
                              <snip> Lieutenant John Kindersley Maurice,
                              Canadian Contingent. Dated 19th March,
                              Gazette Issue 29608 published on the 2 June 1916. Page 23 of 52 - trawling back to find out what the list was in which his name appeared, it looks like: Awarded the Military Cross

Gazette Issue 30423 published on the 11 December 1917. Page 2 of 12
                              Temp. Capt. John Kindersley Maurice,.
                              M.C., to be 2nd Lt. 13th Dec. 1917, with
                              seniority from 14th Sept. 1916, and to retain
                              his higher rank and seniority.
                              Gazette Issue 32606 published on the 10 February 1922. Page 8 of 82
                              ORDER OP THE NILE.
                              Fourth Glass.
                              <snip>
                              Lieutenant John Kindersley Maurice, M.C.
                              Gazette Issue 35586 published on the 5 June 1942. Page 22 of 58
                              To be Additional Officers of the Civil Division
                              of the said Most Excellent Order:—
                              <snip> Captain (retired) John Kindersley Maurice,
                              District Commissioner, Sudan Political
                              Service.
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-10-10, 16:47.

Comment

Found this, too:

Gazette Issue 48855 published on the 7 January 1982. Page 56 of 64
                                Name of Deceased (Surname first) ~ SCOONES, Nora May Anita Stewart O'Neill
                                Address, description and date of death of Deceased ~ The Circus Nursing Home, The Circus, Bath, : formerly Oriel Lodge, Oriel Gardens, Lower Swainswick, Bath, Avon. 3rd January 1982
                                and gives the name/address of the relevant solicitors dealing with her estate.

Christine

Comment

I think that Mr SCOONES was probably Thomas Collin SCOONES - a student in 1911 at Wellington College Berkshire, aged 17, b India "Scinde". Other records indicate the middle name is mis-spelt.

The birth was registered in 1894 in Karachi - Thomas Colin SCOONES

In 1901 he's with his parents and brothers RG13 piece 1185 folio 29 page 2 (no recorded middle name)

There's a ref to him here: Gazette Issue 29490 published on the 25 February 1916. Page 8 of 12
                                  The Highland Light Infantry.
                                  Temporary Second Lieutenant Thomas
                                  Colin Scoones, from The Gordon Highlanders
                                  Online Document WO 372/17
                                  Medal card of Scoones, Thomas Colin
                                  London Regiment 173 Private
                                  Gordon Highlanders Lieutenant
                                  And here: Gazette Issue 29553 published on the 18 April 1916. Page 4 of 12
                                  Gord. Highrs.—2nd Lt. Thomas C. Scoones,
                                  from High. L.I.,, to be 2nd Lt. 20th Apr.,
                                  1916, with seniority as from 4th Feb.,
                                  This ought to have shown up in the London Gazette Supplement of 16 Jun: The Times, Friday, Jun 18, 1920; pg. 6; Issue 42440; col C
                                  Lt T C Scoones, MC, Gordon Highlanders, relinquished his appointment as ADC (Sep 3 1919)
                                  Found: Gazette Issue 31944 published on the 15 June 1920. Page 1 of 10

He travelled, unaccompanied, to Genoa at least four times in the 1930s. There's an incoming journey in the Ancestry database, but I don't know which year.

Even tho' I didn't get it except by googling, there's another LG entry 15 Oct 1940
                                  ADMINISTRATIVE AND SPECIAL DUTIES BRANCH.
                                  The undermentioned are granted commissions
                                  for the duration of hostilities: —
                                  <snip>
                                  As Pilot Officers on probation
                                  <snip>
                                  14th Aug. 1940.
                                  Thomas Colin SCOONES, M.C. (85318).
                                  Gazette Issue 36389 published on the 18 February 1944. Page 9 of 10
                                  ROYAL AIR 'FORCE REGIMENT.
                                  Transfer between branches.
                                  The undermtd. to the Admin, and Spec. Duties
                                  Br.: —
                                  Fig. Off. T. C. SCOONES, M.C. (85318). ist
                                  July 1943
                                  Another LG ref: Gazette Issue 40255 published on the 13 August 1954. Page 11 of 12
                                  Flying Officers, retaining their rank.
                                  T. C. SCOONES, M,C. (85318).
                                  His death was recorded in August 1990, in Dover, giving a DoB 9 February 1894 - Thomas Colin SCOONES.

Christine
                                  Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-10-10, 18:04.

Comment

You have been SO helpful! Thank you so much - I will get onto all of that straight away! It is interesting that Norah junior died in a nursing home in the Circus, Bath - for her mother and stepfather moved to 9 The Circus after leaving Avebury Manor. My next task now is to see if she had children from either marriage.
                                    Thank you so very much! Jill
                                    Jill

Comment

Oooh, do you think it was "formerly O'NEIL lodge"?!

OC

Comment

Incidentally, the London Gazette access is free: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

I think it's unlikely that there were children from either marriage. Do you have membership of Find My Past? FMP has a complete birth index matching surnames and MMN (Mother's Maiden Name). Of course, the MMN isn't given in the GRO index before the Sep-Q of 1911.

Might be worth double-checking the likely Local District BMD sites, if they exist, e.g....
                                        Bath County Births, Marriage and Deaths Indexes.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X