Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas Robson born 1835

Hello All
    Douglas Robson was born in Newcastle in 1835, he was a Seaman in the Merchant service, his last known voyage was from Liverpool to Sydney 1860 his ship was the Cairngorm, that is the last i heard of him, he does not appear on any census at all afer that, i wonder if there are some Records of Him after 1860.

Thanks
    Allan Robson

do you know his parents names as there is this christening for a Douglas Robson in 1835 Newcastle upon Tyne
    Name: Douglas Robson
    Father: John Robson
    Birth: abt 1835
    Baptism: 28 Oct 1835 - Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England

Comment

Thanks Val
      Yes thats him, his parents were John Robson & Eleanor URWIN

Comment

Have you looked for him in Australian records?

That was towards the end of the peak expansion arising from the Australian gold rush, especially in Vicoria (rather than NSW). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_gold_rush

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a Victoria BMD death for a Douglas Robson in 1886 (by progressive elimination). But if you try to put in a father's family name of ROBSON it disappears, so it may be that whoever reported the death didn't know the parents' names - presumably not someone who know the person well. there seems to be nothin gunder that name (yet) in the online Victoria Wills database.

There seems to be no marriage there for anyone in that name.

I had a look at NSW BMD, but couldn't spot anything likely there, either.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-10-10, 16:03.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine, i will have a look

Allan

Comment

Thanks Chris
              How old was the Douglas Robson you found?

Comment

I don't think the one Christine found can be right, because Ancestry also has some Australian BMDs, and it shows a death in 1886 for Jno Douglas Robson aged 6 months in South Melbourne, Victoria, parents Chas and Mary Ann. This is probably the same Douglas that she found in the Victoria BMD index (which doesn't show ages as far as I remember).

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-10-10, 16:17.

Comment

Thanks Mary

Comment

The National Archives at Kew have a lot of Merchant Navy records, if you haven't looked there yet (though there's not a lot online).

Comment

Hi Lindsay, Thats were i got my original info from, but as i say i dont know if he settled in Australia or somehere else or back here, or died at sea.

Allan

Comment

Have you worked your way through this information?

(And it's correct to say that Victoria BMD doesn't offer age at death.)

Christine

Comment

vic bmds in the index have age at death. especially if there are no parents listed.

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Thanks Chistine, hope your singing is going well.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                vic bmds in the index have age at death. especially if there are no parents listed.
                                I hadn't picked that up. Thank you. I realise I was going on what I was finding in the search window - but if I didn't look for age at death, it wouldn't show up!

Christine

PS - I think so, Allandr, thank you - but would prefer not to have a streaming cold!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your cold, there is a lot of it going around.

Comment

Working...
                                  X