• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who did John marry?

have one of those when only three people appear on the record
    John Knight June 1893 in Islington 1B 454
    Hoping its a Emma H something?
    Thanks

Herbert Hardy married Eliz Higgingbottom -their MC is on Ancestry LMA records.
    You will find John Knight on the same page married to Annie Eliz Kelson
    Elaine

Comment

how did you find that Elaine I couldnt ??? wrong girl then thanks again

Comment

As the marriage was Islington, it is likely that the marriage certificate would be available on Ancestry (LMA records) - so I did a search for Elizabeth Higginbottom and could see that she married Herbert Hardy.
        Because the freeBMD entries are transcribed from the actual marriage registers, I looked on the Herbert Hardy / Higgingbottom image to see who John married!

Have you got John on a census with Emma?
        Elaine

Comment

yes Elaine but I can find out nothing about her as she first appears in 1901 with John as Emma H ,I cant even find his first wifes death Louisa Ann born 1853 Plymouth ,she is with him in 1891 so assumed John had remarried bewtween 1891 and 1901

Comment

thanks Elaine much appreciated

Comment

Does this John KNIGHT, widower, cabinet maker, in Bethnal Green (and b Bethnal Green) have a place in your tree?
              RG13 piece 285 folio 70 page 55

I've tracked your cabinet maker - who is b St Luke's as in 1891:
              RG13 piece 208 folio 44 page 14

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-10-10, 22:34.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

On the other hand - in 1911 - Emma has been married for 8 years, has given birth to one child born alive, and that child has died by 1911.

Emma has no second initial in 1911.

There's a December-Q marriage record in 1903, in Hackney, with four names:
                • Emma HOLAH
                • John KNIGHT
                • Frederick George H LEWIS
                • Alice Maud MARTIN

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-10-10, 22:49.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've just been looking at that one Christine. Its on the Ancestry LMA marriages and the bride and groom are 19 and 23 respectively so I don't think its right
                  Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                    I've just been looking at that one Christine. Its on the Ancestry LMA marriages and the bride and groom are 19 and 23 respectively so I don't think its right
                    Certainly that doesn't make sense with the census ages and other info you've got. That means that either they never actually married... of the marriage didn't reach GRO from the local index.

I'm puzzled about the children, though. In 1901, there are the same two as in 1911:
                    Nellie/Ellen, b 1892-3 Hackney
                    John H, b 1898-9 S Hornsey
                    Presumably, they're both from the first marriage.

Is it worth looking in the LMA records for a burial for Louisa, even though you don't have a death record, yet?

Christine

Comment

hi Christine the first census RG13 285 70 55 is not mine at least not yet ???
                      the second one RG13 208 44 14 is mine yes
                      I thought that in 1911 they had 1 child and none had died ????
                      Thanks to you and Jackie for trying

Comment

I think that Eleanor is the daughter of John and Louisa his first wife and John is Emmas ??? would explain them saying one child and none died ?I am starting to think they never married ??

Comment

I thought that in 1911 they had 1 child and none had died ????
                          Sorry. I was writing what I expected the first time, but I went back and had another look, so altered the original posting. The column entries were 8-1-0-1. (I've shut down that browser, now so can't re-check, but I did go back and look more than once).

Christine

Comment

Is the 1901 address 21 Milton Road? If so the child John was baptised as the son of John (cabinet maker) and Emma in July 1901 at St Matthias Edmonton

I think the address is 21 Milton Rd again but perhaps someone could check the writing. Interestingly the child is down as John William Knight
                            Jackie

Comment

thanks both will have another look tomorrow night night

Comment

Working...
                              X