Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regiments

Hi

I am new to this site I would like to say hello to everybody.

And I have my first question for anyone who can help me, I was wondering how to find out what regiment was based in Winchester during the 1860's?. I know from the 1861 census that one of my ancestors was a Private in the Army and based at Winchester but that is all I know.

Also what war would he have serviced in? he was in his 20's

Christine

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Can you give his name so we can check the census record. Sometimes the description of the enumeration district states which regiment.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

His name is Alfred H Wheeler born 1841 St Marylebone Middlesex

Christine

Comment

Doesn't show anything, and unfortunately he doesn't seem to be in the Chelsea Pensioner records on Findmypast.
        Did he marry whilst in the Army? Sometimes the regiments are shown on marriage/birth certificates.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Not sure if he married I thought I had a marriage but the father's trade was correct. I thought there was a list of all the regiments and their bases?

Christine

Comment

You could go backwards from the page your man is on to find the officers. You can then look the officers up in the London Gazette (searchable online) to establish their regiment. There may of course though, have been more than one regiment at Winchester Barracks.

There's a book "In search of the Forlorn Hope" by Kitzmiller which lists the whereabouts of each regiment but I don't believe it's complete. There would be records at Kew in the Monthly Returns.
            Last edited by annswabey; 10-10-10, 15:18. Reason: Hadn't finished typing!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you I will try that

Comment

Hi annswabey

I did what you suggested I went to the original census and kept going back until I got to first page and got the regiment except I cannot read first name _______1st Rrifle Depot Battalion. I did get a couple of officers names so I shall look them up.

Christine

Comment

Winchester is home to the Royal Hampshire Regiment museum so its likely to be that.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X