Charles Basing marriage in 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Basing marriage in 1851

Hullo all - I have found an entry on Free BMD that shows my great great grandfather was married at Richmond in Surrey in the July to September quarter of 1851, but it just lists his name. It is in volume IV page 531. On his marriage to my great great grandmother in 1866 he has advised that "married previously but not seen my wife for 12 years". Is there some way I can find out who he married without going to the expense of buying a copy of the marriage certificate from the England records office, as that would take a lump out of my pension that I would prefer to avoid, but am interested in the name of his first wife, and whether there are in cousins of mine out there in England that I would love to be in contact with, so a name, children name and details would be great if that is possible and anybody could help me find the details. thanks in advance for any help

If you click on the number 531 it will open up another page which shows you the other names transcribed.
    Normally you would get four names listed in alphabetical order - these four names having been transcribed from one page in the parish register.
    You have 3 male and 3 female names so they need pairing off.
    Will have a look elsewhere and see if I can find anything.
    Elaine

Comment

Do you know when and where Charles was born?
      Elaine

Comment

A Charles Bazing, aged 22, travelled to Melbourne on a ship called the Jeannette, arriving on 16/1/1854. Is this your man, Lila?

I've found the same information on Ancestry, but there isn't a copy of the passenger list. No other Basing/Bazing seems to be on the same ship, though.

Do you have his marriage and death certs, and are his parents named? This might help us to find him on the 1851 census, which will give his age and birthplace.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-10-10, 00:26.

Comment

If he is a Charles Frederick Basing then on FMP there is a divorce and matrimonial causes listing for him in 1863 with a wife, Mary Ann Basing, as Mary Ann is listed first I presume she initiated it. Going back to the 1851 marriage listing, one of the list is a Mary Ann Brown. Hope all this helps.
          Helen
          Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Mary Ann Basing petitioned for divorce against Charles Frederick Basing in 1863:

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

so the 1851 marriage was probably to Mary Ann Brown.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-10-10, 21:21.

Comment

Snap, Helen

Comment

It says "wife's petition", so she would have initiated the divorce, but it doesn't actually specify whether it was granted. It was presumably refused at first instance, and then she appealed. You'd need to get the file from the National Archives to find out more.

Comment

A Chas Fred Basing aged 72, parents Jno Basing and Leah Webb, died in Ballarat, Victoria, in 1904. I take it this is your great-great-grandfather, Lila?

I can't find a marriage for John and Leah, and I haven't found any obvious candidates on the censuses so far.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-10-10, 23:46.

Comment

John and Leah were married in Berkshire, in 1815. John was from Newbury, Berkshire and Leah from Bray, Berkshire.

In 1851 there's a Charles Basing, aged 19, clerk, unmarried, born Newbury, Berkshire, living as a lodger at 86 Denbigh St., Belgrave, London.
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 09-10-10, 22:01.

Comment

Might be a red herring, but there are two Basing's in the Richmond burial database

presuming some were still in the area.

Comment

Charles Basing marriage in 1851

what wonderful people you all are. we (my hubby and I) have just been reading all the posts in this thread, and all that we see so far is correct, and we have also found new information from the posts. My g/g grandfather is the Charles Frederick Basing in the census in 1851 and 1861 that were mentioned, and that is his death in 1904 in Ballarat, he was born in Berkshire, and his parents were John Basing and Leah nee Webb
                        The details on the ship on which he travelled to Australia is great news for us, as are the details of his marriage and divorce info. We tried the record of burials but checking it from 1851 to 1875 so far has turned up no Basing deaths, I have been putting the date as 01/01 and the year in five year jumps with search requested for 5 years either side, and comes up with no results -any suggestion of what to do next to find any burials/deaths of Basing, We are now going to look for that record of his arrival in Australia, thanks to all, what wonderful help you all are.

Comment

I wonder if this is Charles in 1841, with mother Leah and several siblings in Liverpool, all born out of county:

The only post-1837 death I can find for a Leah Basing is this one:

Deaths Jun 1843
                          BASING Leah Liverpool 20 287

which would fit, although she could obviously have died before 1841, or even before 1837.

Comment

I think it's a fair bet that the 1841 census entry is the right one, as Leah Basing's an unusual name.

Leah was aged 45 (remember that the ages were supposed to be rounded to the nearest 5 years in 1841, although this wasn't always done), and living with her (probably her children, although the 1841 census doesn't show relationships), are Ellen, 20, Anne, 19, Emmaly, 15, Harriet, 13, John, 10 and Charles, 8. They're living at Islington, Liverpool.

Emily died young:

Deaths Dec 1841
                            BASING Emily Liverpool 20 273

and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the daughter Harriet:

Deaths Jun 1890
                            Basing Harriet 63 Richmond S 2a 219

Interestingly, she left a will; according to the National Probate Calender she died on 25 May 1890, and left an estate of just over £1000. The executor was a Nathaniel Page, brewer. Might be interesting to get the will to see if she left any legacies to members of the family.

She lived at Romany Rest, Gipsy Lane, Putney.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-10-10, 00:56.

Comment

In the 1881 census she's working as a governess in London. Her birthplace is shown as Newbury, Berkshire, so I think this must be the right family.

Comment

This is Ellen's marriage:

Marriages Sep 1846
                                Basing Ellen Liverpool 20 341
                                Ba*ine Ellen Liverpool 20 341
                                Curran Mary Liverpool 20 341
                                Douglas Janet Liverpool 20 341
                                Duffy Patrick Liverpool 20 341
                                Hague Samuel Liverpool 20 341
                                Hughes Henry Liverpool 20 341
                                Jones Margaret Liverpool 20 341
                                Teare Daniel Liverpool 20 341
                                Thompson Charles Liverpool 20 341

In 1851, there's an Ellen Hague, 34, born Newbury, Berkshire, living in Nether Hallam, Yorkshire, with husband Samuel Hague, 40, annuitant, born Scotland, children Elizabeth, 4, born Halifax, Yorkshire, and Caroline, 2, born Sheffield, Yorkshire, and a servant.

By 1861, Samuel's widowed, and living in Everton, Lancashire, with children Elizabeth, 13, born Halifax, Marian, 12 and Fanny, 9, both born Sheffield.

There's a possible death for Ellen in Sheffield in 1857.
                                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-10-10, 01:25.

Comment

Wonder if this is Charles as well -
                                  BASING C MR 23 BULLARRA JUN 1893 WESTERN AUSTRALIA VIA PORTS JUN 1893 001
                                  BASING C MR 29 ADELAIDE II MAY 1896 WEST AUSTRALIA VIA ADELAIDE MAY 1896 003
                                  Last edited by naomiatt; 10-10-10, 04:02.

Comment

You asked about children from Charles's first marriage which took place in 1851 and we know he left UK in 1854 so between 1850 and 1855 there are are these births

Bridget Basing
                                    Year of Registration: 1852 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                                    District: Bradford County: Yorkshire - West Riding, West Yorkshire
                                    Volume: 9b Page: 101

Sarah Annie Hewlett Basing
                                    Year of Registration: 1853 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
                                    District: Isle of Wight County: Hampshire, Isle of Wight
                                    Volume: 2b Page: 456

Elizabeth Basing
                                    Year of Registration: 1855 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                                    District: Isle of Wight County: Hampshire, Isle of Wight
                                    Volume: 2b Page: 464

Margaret

Comment

We tried the record of burials but checking it from 1851 to 1875 so far has turned up no Basing deaths, I have been putting the date as 01/01 and the year in five year jumps with search requested for 5 years either side, and comes up with no results -any suggestion of what to do next to find any burials/deaths of Basing,

Is that the UK database you are referring to? If so who are you looking for in particular?
                                      Margaret

Comment

Doing a search of the death index on ancestry for 1837 to 1915 shows 117 Basing deaths all around the UK. Perhaps you could give a list of the names and year of birth for those you would like checking and we'll see what we can do.
                                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X