1841 Puzzle Harley/Burgoyne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 Puzzle Harley/Burgoyne

My 3x Gt Grandmother SARAH BURGOYNE and her 2 children are not with her husband on 1841 census and I have really struggled to find them elsewhere. Here is what I know so far

SARAH HARLEY was bap 30 Jul 1809 in Wigmore Herefordshire, Father Benjamin Harley, Mother Martha.

1835 - gave birth to illegitimate son EDWIN JOHN HARLEY, bap 25 May 1835, Wigmore. Mother's name SARAH TURNER HARLEY, no father recorded.

1838- married WILLIAM BURGOYNE in Wigmore Parish Church.
    21 Jun 1838,
    SARAH HARLEY, 28, Spinster, Wigmore, Father BENJAMIN TURNER HARLEY, Parish Clerk.
    WILLIAM BURGOYNE, 23, Bachelor, Mason, Wigmore, Father William Burgoyne, Mason

1840- Birth of daughter SARAH HARLEY BURGOYNE. Bap Wigmore 11 Oct 1840, Father William Burgoyne, Mother Sarah.

1841 Census - Wigmore Village. William Burgoyne,25, Mason is liviing in the same household as Benjamin Turner, 58. (I cannot read occupation). I have assumed that this is his father in law but cannot find wife Sarah Burgoyne, her son Edwin John Harley or their daughter Sarah Burgoyne.
    Sarah Burgoyne (wife) died in Sep Q 1851 and by 1861 Census William was living in Wigmore with his 2nd wife.

Just wondering if a 2nd pair of eyes might pick them up.

Thanks
    Helen in Glos

I think this might be them with some names and ages totally messed up I think Susan is supposed to be Sarah but the wife listed is Sarah so it's possible they got the names mixed and also ages Sarah Burgoyne child of 8 and Edwin Turner child of 6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
      I think this might be them with some names and ages totally messed up I think Susan is supposed to be Sarah but the wife listed is Sarah so it's possible they got the names mixed and also ages Sarah Burgoyne child of 8 and Edwin Turner child of 6!!!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=2622569
      The illegitimate son Edwin would have been 6 in 1841 as he was born 1835 and he is using Sarah's middle name as his surname. The girl Sarah could be 8 months rather than years which would all fit with what Helen has said. The age for Susan matches that for Sarah so a brilliant find Maggie!

Comment

Brilliant work, thank you very much. In 1861 Edwin John Harley is using the name Edwin Turner Harley so there is a really good chance that he could be Edwin Turner in 1851. They just can't seem to decide whether their surname is Turner or Harley.

Thanks again, Helen
        Helen in Glos

Comment

Just an extra, I think that that Joseph Burgoyne on this record is the uncle of William Burgoyne b1814, the husband of Sarah Turner Harley so it is feasible that she could be in his household.
          Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
          X