No announcement yet.

Are these two Marriages the same man ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these two Marriages the same man ??

George William Knight 1.jpgGeorge william Knight 2.jpg
    George William Knight
    As I seem to have him with Mary still in 1901 ???? thanks

They look the same to me. The signatures are not exactly the same,but handwriting can change over the years.Have you got death of first wife?
    Fran

Comment

thanks Fran thats the problem he is still with Mary in 1901?? unless I have the wrong couple then?

Comment

Oops! Didn't read that bit.Sorry

Comment

I'm fed up with my lot

Comment

The signatures look similar, the name & occupation are the same, as it is for the father. The occupations require technical skill, so it's not like "labourer". He's a widower. I'd say it was the same man, but he shed a few years to avoid being so much older than his new wife.

Of course, it's not unknown for people to claim to have been widowed...

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine but I would have thought if he remarried in 1897 he would be with Eliza in 1901 but he isnt he is still with Mary ???
              so maybe living a double life ??? I am having trouble finding out anything about both wives ?
              Sometimes my user name really does say it all
              You cant read the witnesses on the first marriage can you ????

Comment

It's a bit small but the first looks like Walter CATMULL and the second like Mary CONERY.

Neither surname looks quite as you'd expect. The first looks as if it ought to be Cartmell, and the second Connery, so it may be that neither is a correct interpretation.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-10-10, 22:40.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I was trying to see if I could spot him in earlier censuses, so that I could identify him in 1901, but I don't know enough about him.

Christine

Comment

in 1911 he is with Eliza at 70 Roman Road Lower Holloway

Comment

Looking at the 1901 census although the wife's name is Mary the age difference is that of his new wife Eliza so could he just have had a 'senior moment' and put the wrong name on his form??
                      Margaret

Comment

ooh clever you Margaret I did notice the age difference but did not think of that , I'm off to see if I can find Marys death thanks again, sometimes new eyes are useful.

Comment

I wonder if Mary died in Leeds. There's this one

Q/E Sep 1895 Mary Knight aged 38 Leeds Vol 9b page 327

Also one of the witnesses on the 2nd marriage is Ellen Knight - does that tie in with what you know about George?
                          Jackie

Comment

thanks Jackie I was wondering that , will have to look into that one, George did have a few Ellen and Eleanor Knights in his family and he had a Niece Eleanor, so thats quite likely to be one of them.

Comment

found Walter Catsmull one of the witnesses to the First Marriage ,same age as George and a Cabinet Maker too living in Bethnal Green and he is married to a Charlotte who could be another Niece ?

Comment

Looking at the 1901 census although the wife's name is Mary the age difference is that of his new wife Eliza so could he just have had a 'senior moment' and put the wrong name on his form??
                                I've seen something similar in a friend's tree - though her cousin is convinced I'm wrong. I think it's the only plausible explanation for the information available.

Christine

PS - I don't have Ancestry. If I'm to look up census info, I need the ref info (i.e. piece number, folio and page)

Comment

Working...
                                X