Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passengers Travelling to New Zealand 1911

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how or where to find passenger lists leaving from England to NZ, probably in the last quarter of 1911. The name I'm looking for is Elizabeth Blewett, b 1876, Stanway, Essex.

Thankyou.

Hi - there are a few Blewett's here for example http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw...ec/dbtwpub.dll
    Do you know where she arrived to in NZ? Is that her married name?

There are three Blewett's leaving for Wellington in 1911, two from London (including an initial E, female and a male) and one from Plymouth (initial A, male)

there is also an Eliz Blewett, born 1876, leaving Liverpool in 1930 to New York
    Last edited by naomiatt; 08-10-10, 00:19.

Comment

Possible ???...age is about right 1911
      Ezekiel Blewett aged 33 farm labourer
      Elizabeth Blewett aged 34
      Elizabeth A Blewett aged 13
      Napier bound
      no ship named though.....strange....possibly the Corinthic....bit confusing...looks like a pay per view...only giving bits of info....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hi - link above I gave doesn't work - try this one http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw...passenger.html

Name BLEWETT, E
        Vessel MAKURA: Departed:VANCOUVER Arrived:SYDNEY 00 DEC 1918
        Notes Female. Title: MRS. Occupation: LADY. Place of birth: BRITISH.

Name BLEWETT, E A
        Vessel REMUERA: Departed:SOUTHAMPTON Arrived:AUCKLAND 03 Oct 1921
        Notes Female. Title: MRS. Age: 31. Occupation: HOUSEWIFE. Place of birth: ENGLAND.

Name BLEWETT, F W
        Notes Male. Title: MR. Age: 26. Occupation: MACHINIST. Place of birth: ENGLAND.

Name BLEWETT, F W
        Notes Male. Title: MR. Age: 26.
        Source Archives NZ reference: BBAO 5552/8a page: 672

There are a number of Blewett's in the Wellington Archives -
        Last edited by naomiatt; 08-10-10, 00:10.

Comment

The passenger who seems to best fit your parameters is possibly Mrs E Blewett - travelled to Wellington on the TONGARIRO from London - 20th October 1911. She is listed as single and there is no other identifying information - except that she is shown as a cook - which your Elizabeth appears to have been in 1911

If you buy credits on Find My Past you will be able to view the original record

Cheers
          Sue

Comment

Hi Sue

Thanks for your post. Your answer seems to be the closest. I did find her on a free search on the 1911 census, living in Islington on Find My Past, but this census is not yet out on the program I'm subscribed to.

Thanks again
            Jean

Comment

Hi:

Thanks for answering my post. That was her married name at that point. I believe she arrived in Wellington and then married in 1915, name changed to Pearson. I'll try your link though.

Thanks again
              Jean

Comment

Hi Allan:

Thanks for answering my post. I believe she arrived in Wellington NZ. I'll check some links and see what I can find.

Thanks again
                Jean

Comment

Hi Jean - do you believe she married twice? First to a Mr Blewett and then to a Mr Pearson?
                  This is a good site to search in for NZ papers http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Comment

In 1911 in England she was recorded as a widow so presumabley married there - and then looks to have travelled to Wellington as Mrs E Blewett and married a John Henry Pearson in NZ in 1915

There is a John Henry Pearson of Petone mentioned in Papers Past who died in 1944 as a result of surgery - but he was recorded as 56 - so probably a bit young for Elizabeth (and no widow mentioned in funeral notices) - have you got the marrriage cert from NZ Jean??

Cheers
                    Sue

Comment

Hi Sue:

Thanks again for your post. I did find a one line marriage reg in Wellington for Elizabeth Blewett, marrying John Henry Pearson in 1915. These were my grandparents, but Elizabeth had been married twice before. John Henry actually died on Vancouver Island, BC in 1943. It's really an story, almost unbelievable for that period, but I'm really trying to find out who she was either living with in Islington in 1911, or travelling with, when she left for New Zealand. John Henry Pearson was about 12 years younger than Elizabeth. I'm just trying right now to fill in 'the rest of the story'.

Thanks again.
                      Jean

Comment

Amazing how they travelled around Jean - have sent you a PM

Cheers
                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                        X