does anyone know......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know......

Where St. Marks parish is in relation to St. Margarets Parish in Leicester please, I have tried looking for parish maps and not come up with a great deal..

thanks in advance
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Haven't checked but is there anything here to help: http://lrfhs.org.uk/

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This looks as if it would give you a clue: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LEI...rParishes.html

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine, they are not really what I'm looking for, I have a map of Nottingham and that shows all the surrounding parishes, I was kinda looking for/hoping for a similar sort if thing so I can visually get an idea.

though probably realise that there isnt such a thing..lol!! and I think that I might have got the name wrong, it might be St. Martins and not Marks..lol
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          thanks Christine, they are not really what I'm looking for, I have a map of Nottingham and that shows all the surrounding parishes, I was kinda looking for/hoping for a similar sort if thing so I can visually get an idea.

though probably realise that there isnt such a thing..lol!! and I think that I might have got the name wrong, it might be St. Martins and not Marks..lol
          Is it Nottingham or Leicester you are looking aT?
          Margaret

Comment

Sorry to confuse Margaret, its one of Leicester I would like help on, (I have one for Nottingham)
            Julie

Comment

It is St. Martins and they are about 500 metres apart according to google maps..
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

ah right Wendy, thank you,
                Julie

Comment

Julie, It's not for your Browns in Leicester St Margaret is it - all of mine started off there before going on to Nottingham.

Linda
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                    Julie, It's not for your Browns in Leicester St Margaret is it - all of mine started off there before going on to Nottingham.

Linda
                    LOL!! Linda,

no its not sadly, its my flippin Robinsons!! ;)
                    Julie

Comment

Shame - you never know, we could have been related :D
                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

What about emailing http://record-office-catalogue.leics.gov.uk/DServe/

Christine

Comment

lol! Linda, you never know!!

Christine, That is certainly a possiblity, I could do with an old leics map really as I have a few places I want to see if they are there, and todays maps just dont show the streets I need. thank you for the thoughts
                          Julie

Comment

Well, using this site: http://www.old-maps.co.uk I selected Leicester, Leicestershire.

The sample for the 1887 town plan (at 1:500) includes St Martin's Church. Town Hall Lane is to the north, and St Martin's East/West are (as you'd guess) east & west. The sample doesn't extend to the south. The church is between the library (on the west) and the Queen's Head Inn (on the east).

From their prices page:
                            Town Plans
                            (c.1840 - c.1939)
                            Ordnance Survey Town Plans. Captured at 1:500, 1:528, 1:1,056, 1:2,640 and 1:5,280 scales. Produced from the survey of towns with a population of over 4,000, these maps highlight historical uses not captured by the OS County Series and National Grid mapping, including industrial uses and public buildings.
                            PDF (email) £14.99
                            Print £24.99
                            Frame (Print)£44.99
                            Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-10-10, 17:03.

Comment

This might be useful - but it appears to be a work-in-progress, and St Martin's and St Margaret's both have only place-holder icons at the moment.

Christine
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-10-10, 17:18.

Comment

ooh thank you Christine, that looks very promising thank you
                                Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X