Ships in Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ships in Port

Is it possible to find out what ships were in port at the time of the 1901 census, I'm trying to find out what ship my Grandfather served on, he was in Barry port at the time of the census.
    Any help please .
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

You might be able to find something in the local newspapers. I've found some of my Liverpool ancestors' ships listed in the "Shipping News" section of the Liverpool Mercury, mentioning arrivals, departures, cargo, etc.
    Sarah

Comment

Hi Steve - this may be useful http://www.glamro.gov.uk/adobe/MaritimeRevised.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by fitzjohn1001 View Post
        Is it possible to find out what ships were in port at the time of the 1901 census, I'm trying to find out what ship my Grandfather served on, he was in Barry port at the time of the census.
        Any help please .
        Normally the ships' crews were grouped together by vessel. Have you tried looking at the first page of the vessel in which he's listed? That usually gives the ship's name.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If it was the Royal Navy then on Ancestry they do have Royal Navy listed with the counties

Comment

He was staying in somesort of boarding house very near to Barry Port on the night of the census and there is no listing of any ship/vessel.
            In the census he is listed as a "ships cook or steward" boarding with 14 workmates, maybe from the same ship!

Thanks for all your help.
            Steve.
            Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Comment

Do you know whether he was RN or merchant navy?

There are RN seamen's records on Documents Online.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This site is mentioned in the Glamorgan Archives link..the owner might be able to help you as he has documented crew..
                also, where was your gf from..as there is this link -
                Mynegai ar-lein i dros 21,000 meistri, mÃtiau a pheiriannwyr masnachnol o Gymry o 1800 tan 1945, casglwyd gan Dr. Reg Davies.

The Museum of Wales has a maritime section, they would be worth an e mail..

Also, as Cloggie mentioned, ships in port were often listed in the press..
                Last edited by naomiatt; 07-10-10, 23:54.

Comment

Working...
                X