Help reading a document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading a document

Looking for some help reading a document, if someone has a few minutes to spare. I have worked out some it, but would appricate a second opinion. File is attached it the first entry I'm interested in (first 8 lines across the page).

Thanks in advance
    Simon
    Attached Files

11th October 1810
    under £100
    Walter Mallock of Combe St Nicholas farmer??

Robert Mallock of Combe St Nicholas & John Hutchings of Cl____

Elizabeth Mallock

Testator's Cottage, Garden, Orchard & xxxxx for the use of Testator's wfe for her life and after her decease for the use of Robert Mallock & John Hutchings for their own use subject to the payment of all testator's debts and funeral expenses.

Also all testator's household goods & furniture to the use of Testator's wife for her life. After her decease testator gave the same to his two daughters Sarah wofe of Wm. Croft and Susannah Mallock both of Combe St Nicholas.

Said Robert Mallock

All testator's wearing apparel and working tools.

I think ... couple of words i couldn't read.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I agree with Carolines interpretation, just a few missing words though.

Robert Mallock of Combe St Nicholas and John Hutchings of Chard ?

Testators cottage, garden, orchard and privvies ?

I thought it said Sarah, wife of Wm Cross but it really is hard to read.

Comment

Thanks very much, I could kiss you both!

xx
        Last edited by sim; 06-10-10, 22:32.

Comment

One quick query though where it says about the use of the cottage, to his wife and then his son & son in law. Does that mean that he owned the cottage and if so why would he give them the cottage as opposed to the use of it, and if he didn't own it (surely more likely), how can control who can use it??

Comment

Originally posted by sim View Post
            One quick query though where it says about the use of the cottage, to his wife and then his son & son in law. Does that mean that he owned the cottage and if so why would he give them the cottage as opposed to the use of it, and if he didn't own it (surely more likely), how can control who can use it??
            Hi Simon

It was his last will and testament. You have to own something before you can leave it in a will (i think) so i presume he owned the cottage,orchard,privvies etc and left them to his wife until she died. When his wife died i think the cottage is left to the son and son-in-law and the household contents and furniture are left to the two daughters.
            I might be wrong though but that's how it came across to me

Comment

That's what i thought. I had my doubts because 1. I didn't think he would have owned a property ( he was only a ag lab, though I suppose it could have passed down for years i suppose) and 2. the fact that he said "the use of " instead of "I leave the cottage to ..." but that may have been just the way they worded it.

Thanks for your help
              xxx

Comment

I'm just guessing here as I know absolutely nothing about wills or land laws for that matter but could it be 'leasehold' as oposed to 'freehold'?:o
                Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

That could be it!! That would make much more sense!!
                  xxxx

Comment

Morning Viv and Simon

Yes that makes sense of it all now ;D

Comment

Working...
                    X