Divorce or Death or a Bigamist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce or Death or a Bigamist?

I have a conumdrum.I'm looking at Arthur Gough b1880/81 who married Alma Drinkwater Lunn on 27/08/1904 (Vol6d Pg 875); not a problem there. He had two children Alma Leslie b27/01/1906 & Eva 17/09/1909. However we also have him marrying Elsie Frances Thorneloe on 15/09/1907 (vol 6d pg 989). Eva was born in 1909 after Arthurs marriage to Elsie!!!

I can find no record of him being divorced so is this another Arthur or is he a bigamist?

His father was John Gough and his mother Maria Gough (nee Looms). He had quite a chequered military carer having joined the Oxfordshire LI on 25/07/1898 and fought in the Boer War being discharged on 16/09/1902. He also saw service in the Great War. His discharge papers state m 27/08/1904 (as above).

Where was the marriage? Have you found him on the 1911 census and if so who is he with?
    Margaret

Comment

have you got both certs? is his fathers name and occupation the same on both certs?

Comment

Can't find him on the 1911 census but that doesn't mean to say that he's not there. He enlisted with the Royal Warks in 1914 so I can only presume that at the time of the 1911 census he was still in Coventry

Comment

At this moment i time I don't have either cert. His father John, 1842-1888, worked in the silk industry and was also a gas worker towards the end of his life.

Comment

Both marriages listed as being in Coventry....marriage to Alma at Christ Church and the marriage to Elsie at St Marks

Comment

I've sent you a PM.
              Margaret

Comment

I've sent you a PM and I think the other Arthur is a different person.
                Margaret

Comment

Thank you...I'll get hold of a cert to 'kill' that avenue off once and for all.

Comment

Working...
                  X