Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Birth Registration, no Baptism

Hello
    I am new to the site and i was wondering how rare it is for a child to neither Registrered at Birth (born 1840? and not Baptised.
    John Robson was born 1840, according to the 1841 Census
    as follows:

Pembertson St, Hetton-le-hole 1841
    Eleanor Robson age 30
    Mary Ann age 9 I have Bap
    Elizabeth age 8 I have Bap
    Douglas age 5 I have Bap
    John age 1 (my line)

In Oct 1841 Margaret was born in Hetton, i have Birth Reg but no baptism.
    in Sept 1843 Armstrong was born in Hetton i have birth reg and Baptism
    in April 1846 Richard was born and died i have Birth Reg and Baptism and Death Reg.
    both Armstrong and Richard were Baptised together 8th July 1846 at St Nicholas, Hetton.
    its puzzles me where John and Margaret were baptised?

1851 Census
    20 Neasham sq Sunderland
    John Robson age 46 born Corbridge
    Eleanor age 41 born Byker
    John aged 11 Born Sunderland
    Margaret age 10 born Sunderland, on here birth she is Registered at Hetton-Le Hole
    Armstrong aged 8 born Hetton
    Thomas age 3 months born Sunderland.

Maybe someone has some idea's why John is not Registered or Baptised, i have checked all the John Robson births 1837 to 1841 and he is not there.

Thanks
    Allan Robson

Where was Douglas baptised?
    Elaine

Comment

If I am right in guessing that Douglas may have been baptised in Newcastle upon Tyne, could this be the baptism for John.

John Robson
      18 Mar 1840 All Saints', Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

Parents - John Parkinson Robson and Eleanor
      Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

source: FamilySearch Record site
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
        Thanks for your reply
        Douglas was baptied 20th Oct 1835 at St Andrews Newcastle, the John Robson baptism is not mine i have had it checked.

Allan

Comment

Back to the drawing board!
          Elaine

Comment

It is a tough one, i have spent some years trying to find John , he died in 1865 as a result of an accident and left a widow and 3 small children, my fear is he was adopted and if so my family tree is worthless.

Thanks
            Allan

Comment

In the 1851 and 1861 census is his place of birth consistent?
              Elaine

Comment

more or less, in 1851 it is Sunderland and 1861 Bishopwearmouth as follows
                20 Sussex st Sunderland
                John Robson age 23 born Bishopwearmouth, mariner
                Eleanor age 27 born Sunderland
                Douglas age 4 months born Sunderland

John married Eleanor Ann Hall on 20th Jan 1860 he said he was 22 i doubt that if he was born in 1840, on his marriage cert no family members on either side were witnesse's

Thanks
                Allan

Comment

There is a male Robson birth registration in Sunderland in March 1839 but I think that is probably too early as he would have been 2 by the 1841 census.
                  Elaine

Comment

I have seen that one, i know Registration was not compulsory till 1875, but not to be baptised is what i dont Understand, in those day it was considered unlucky not to be baptised.

Comment

It does seem odd if they have had the rest of the children baptised. Have you physically checked the parish registers or are you relying on online data?
                      Elaine

Comment

yes i have , i have checked all Hetton Registers, Sunderland, Newcastle and many others Parishes in the area, what i think is odd is both Armstrong and Richard were both baptised together so why not do John and Margaret at the same time, unless they were already baptised somewhere else, but i have looked and no sign.

Allan

Comment

Just a little tale about parish registers that show that mistakes are made, and that incorrect names can be recorded. My husbands great grandfather is Clement Ezer Stanley, I have his birth certificate - his baptism is written as Clementina Stanley. At first I thoght I was dealing with twins, but no birth registration for a Clementina, so I can only presume someone misheard the name. It may be worth thinking phonetically and widening the search a bit perhaps including such name as Robinson.
                          Helen
                          Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thanks Helen i have checked that as i purposefully checked the parents names which would still be John and Eleanor and his occupation as a Joiner would have got me thinking, but again no luck.

Allan

Comment

Post #4 - you say the baptism is not yours, can you explain how you know it isn't him, please.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Allandr View Post
                                Thanks Helen i have checked that as i purposefully checked the parents names which would still be John and Eleanor and his occupation as a Joiner would have got me thinking, but again no luck.

Allan
                                hi Allan,

have you checked under John & ELLEN as well? my Eleanor was known as Ellen. btw, welcome to the forum
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have you ruled out these birth registrations in case his birth wasn't registered right away?

Births Sep 1841
                                  Robson John - Sunderland vol. 24, p. 291
                                  Robson John Henry - Sunderland vol. 24 p. 300

Or perhaps his birth was registered somewhere other than Sunderland. The birth places given on censuses aren't always correct. I have a great-uncle whose place of birth is given as Cowes, Isle of Wight on censuses, yet his birth certificate shows he was born in Wyddial, Hertfordshire and the birth was registered in Royston registration district, Hertfordshire.

Another possibility is mistranscription as Helen suggested. I have an ancestor called Alice Jopson who is called Alice Robson in the newspaper report on the inquest into her death. It is definitely her though, so my guess is the newspaper staff misinterpreted the handwritten name.
                                  Last edited by Cloggie; 06-10-10, 05:25.
                                  Sarah

Comment

I have one that was baptised 10 years after her birth, even though children born after her were baptised before her.

I also have a couple of adult baptisms, have you tried looking just before his marriage.
                                    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                                    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                                    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

my 2nd great grandmother was christened at 17, so it's plausible he was christened at a later date, or maybe they didnt get around to having christened?

Comment

yes the John Robson you mention is still alive in 1871 , mine died in 1865.

Thanks
                                        Allan

Comment

Working...
                                        X