George Algar/ Caroline Gray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Algar/ Caroline Gray?

Hi folks this is my very first post on this forum, so please be nice!

I've been trying to trace my family tree for the last 3 or 4 months and I've got to a point in one of my lines that is confusing me.

I'll try and break it down so it's easy to understand. My 3x Great grandfather George Algar born about 1840 in Norwich married a Caroline date unknown.

I have found a mariage record online for a George Alger and Caroline Gray who tied the knot on 30th August 1860. I researched 'Caroline Gray' and found a caroline Gray with a mother and Father named Sophia and William and as my relatives eldest daughter was also called Sophia I assume these to be Caroline's parents. I have no other proof that I have the correct caroline and if I do that I have the correct parents.

I have another problem with Caroline Gray - thats if she is related to me at all. I have found the family in the 1861 census with William logged as head, age 22, Sophia, wife, 28 and Caroline, Daughter, age 16 - how could this be? I am sure its not a transcript error but I cannot think how this is possible.

Thankyou in advance to anybody who can help me over my first stumbling block.

Ant

Hello Ant

welcome to Family Tee Forum, shall we start at the beginning? :D

do you have BMD certs to prove your fndings? did you start at yourself and work backwards? (sorry to ask but, you do get some folks that just dive in and they havent thought about what they have)

Do you know whose parents are Georges? if so, can you name them? I have found two possible baptisms for him, but both have different parents.

oh and edit to say: do you have any subscriptions to Ancestry or FMP?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Could Caroline's age be 16 months and not years?
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Ant
        The marriage that you refer to took place on 30th April 1860 at Lambeth. Both full age. Caroline Gray was a widow. Both George & his father John were cordwainers. Caroline's father William Gray also a cordwainer. William & Esther Gray witnesses.
        Possible earlier marriage for Caroline on 12th Sept 1853 to Thomas Gray at Bermondsey. Thomas, his father Edward & her father William all cordwainers. Witnesses Joseph & Mary Gray.
        Moggie

Comment

do u have the birth cert for your ancestor, the one you believe to be george and caroline's son? that will give her maiden name, and prove your line backwards.

you must watch out for remarriages, ive fallen for widows marrying many times!!

Comment

Working...
          X