Timothy GOWING/Elizabeth BUXTON Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timothy GOWING/Elizabeth BUXTON Opinions please

I've had this on GF since yesterday as it was Kate who initiated my new interest. 52 people have looked at it but none offered an opinion. If anybody here would like to offer one I'd be grateful.

My gg-gm Mary GOWING featured on 'Take one 2xg-gp' showing father Timothy & mother Elizabeth ?. What follows is my conversation with Kate.

Quote:
    Hmmm, you've probably seen this already, but FamilySearch Record Search's pilot site has a baptism for a Martha Gowing ("gender male", lol) 6 Nov 1805 Stowmarket, parents Timothy Gowing and Elizabeth Buxton, and there is a marriage for Timothy Gowen and Elizabeth Buxton 27 Oct 1805, it only says Suffolk for that though.

Thanks Kate,

Quote:
    That marriage took place at Shelland & that Timothy says he's single but that wouldn't necessarily discount him as mine judging by my Timothy's behaviour; leaving both wives & children in the workhouse on numerous occasions, deserting from the navy, ending up in Norwich & Beccles Gaols - what's a little lie about status eh?

Also my Timothy & Elizabeth did name their first daughter Martha. However, the Workhouse records show that Elizabeth was removed from Norwich in a state of pregnancy in Sep 1807 and when the family was admitted to the workhouse in May 1808, Martha was recorded as 9 mths old.

Thanks for having a look though.

Quote:
    Are you sure that it's not the same couple having two Marthas, with the first one dying in infancy?

Quote:
    No, I can't be sure that it's not but Shelland & Stowmarket are quite a way from Bungay & they have only been sighted in Bungay, Beccles & Norwich. However I checked my notes & don't seem to have any for 1805 so I had better go back to the 'Minute Books' to check.

I was in Suffolk last week to have another look.

The Shelland marriage shows the bachelor? Timothy was of Stowmarket whilst Elizabeth was of Shelland. As stated before the marriage took place 27/10/1805 & they were back in Stowmarket to baptise daughter Martha 6/11/1805 & bury her 12/12/1805.

I went through the Stowmarket register & found only one other mention of a GOWING - William marrying in 1748.

I did find a lot of BUXTONs including a possible baptism for Elizabeth in 1774. The census from the workhouse in 1851 & her death cert. from the same 2 mths later give her age as 73 (1778) Master of the Workhouse. Annoyingly her birth place is UK. By this time her daughter Martha had died & daughter Mary had moved to Ipswich.

When she enters the workhouse in 1808 Timothy or Elizabeth herself gives her age as 35 (1773) which I am inclined to feel is more accurate.

The minute books for Wangford Union show:
    12/6/1805 Timothy GOWING's wife to be received into the house when brought. This could be his mother as Timothy's father was also Timothy but in general the older couple were given out relief.

30/10/1805 Ordered that Timothy GOWING aged 12 yrs be admitted to be maintained in the House, his father being ran away & he having no person to maintain him. This was Timothy's eldest child by his first wife Jemima BUNN & makes it possible for him to be in Stowmarket with Elizabeth.

1/1/1806 Ordered that the Governor make enquiry after Timothy GOWING who has left his whereby he is become chargeable to the Corporation. By this time Timothy had 7 more children, only 3 of whom I've been able to kill off although I do believe most did die. Timothy III & sister Jemima ended up in Lincolnshire. At this time I don't know if Jemima was with her gps or still in the House from when she was taken in with her mother in 1803.

26/3/1806 Ordered that the Gov. make enquiry after Timothy GOWING who has left his child chargeable to the Corporation. Could still be in Stowmarket.

23/4/1806 Ordered that Timothy GOWING & his wife be admitted when brought. Is this Timothy & Elizabeth or his parents?

In May he is sent to Beccles gaol for 2 months & released in July having promised to take his daughter out of the House which he does.

Elizabeth isn't mentioned by name until September 1807 although there is mention of fractured ribs for Timothy GOWING's wife in May & June.

Sorry this is so long. After 7 years of thinking Elizabeth BUXTON isn't mine, I'm now thinking she probably is.

Timothy Gowing is not common & mine is the only one I've found in that time frame. Also 7 years later, I have been through more than half the PRs & know he's not in those.

His mother was Martha JOHNSON.

All opinions gratefully received.
    Glen

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
    I've had this on GF since yesterday....
    52 people have looked at it but none offered an opinion. If anybody here would like to offer one I'd be grateful.
    Glen, not everyone knows what GF is, or can see what you posted on their site - so I´ll quote it here:

Mary GOWING/EN
    Name - "official" name and what they were known as
    Mary GOWING/EN

Date and place of birth
    20/8/1811 Shipmeadow Workhouse Suffolk

Names of parents
    Timothy GOWING Elizabeth ?

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
    None found

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
    Daniel CANNELL 13/2/1833 Bungay St Mary Suffolk

Occupation(s) - if any

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
    1841 Back Lane Bungay St Mary Suffolk
    1851 Bond St Ipswich St Margaret Suffolk
    1861 Church Lane Ipswich St Clement Suffolk
    1871 17 Lower Barclay St Ipswich St Margaret Suffolk
    1881 4 East Court Ipswich St Helen Suffolk

Date, place and cause of death
    7/2/1884 38 Rope Walk Ipswich St Clement Suffolk Apoplexy

Date and place of burial.
    12/2/1884 Ipswich Cemetery Suffolk

Details of will / administration of their estate N/A

Memorial inscription N/A
    Elaine

Comment

Don't forget Going also translates to the same family as Gowing etc. Many come from Ireland!

Janet

Comment

it looks like you have covered it all Glen, is it purely the distance that is making you wary? the facts that you have presented sure look like they all fit, I'd be inclined to say that you have it 'in the can' like you say, he can fib about alot of things, so one little fib more isnt exactly going to hurt. if it were me, i'd be inclined to say yes, that the findings are all pointing in the right direction.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Elaine Thanks for that.

Janet Thanks for replying. I have the GOWINGs in Suffolk/Norfolk back to a marriage in 1724 & feel their origins are there - just haven't found them yet. It's this particular marriage I'm trying to confirm or refute.

Julie Thanks - Yes it was basically the distance but also his status. Having thought one way about it for so long it's quite difficult to suddenly accept the opposite. When I first found the marriage I wasn't as aware of the inaccuracies, deliberate or otherwise, in official records. In the intervening years I have come across many which can be proved to be incorrect, if you see what I mean.
          Glen

Comment

Working...
          X