Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tracing George Smith!

Hi,

I have posted about my 3x Great Grandfather, George Smith, before but I am hoping that someone may have some fresh ideas on how I can trace George further back.

At the moment I think it may be impossible to trace George further back because I only have a little information about him and that is from his marriage certificate.

Here is the info:

George Smith married my 3x grt Grandmother Emma Stevens 1917 at Nottingham registry office. George Smith was 45 a widdower, his occupation was a coal miner. His father is named as John Smith (deceased) and his occupation is a general labourer. The witnesses were a Arthur Goulding and Florence Shaw. I think Florence may have been a Smith, but I can find no connection to George. I have traced her through the census.

Emma Stevens was a widow, she was born in Lincolnshire but moved to Nottingham with her first husband who was from Nottingham. Emma's first husband was killed in action during ww1.

Some of my elder relatives told me that George had two sons from his first marriage and their names were Walter and John George (Jack) Smith. But they don't know any more info about them like their year of birth or birth place.

I have tried to see if George was living at the address on marriage cert on the 1911 but unfortunately he wasn't.

If anyone can offer any help or advice it would be truly appreciated.

Kelly.

You could try the library local to the address you have to see who was at the address on the electoral roll at the time of the marriage and a year or 2 before - that might give some clues.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

A kind member had a look at the electoral for me, the last time I posted for help. They found George and Emma at the address listed on the Marriage certificate from 1919 up until 1934. Unfortunately, because of WW1 we can't check the years before that. The address given on the Marriage certificate was Emmas address in 1914, where she lived with her first husband.

Kelly.

Comment

Right. I have been searching on the 1901 for Walter with father George and John George with father George but nothing coming up yet. I was working on the theory that George was born c1872 and therefore could have been married with children from 1888 onwards.
        Have you looked at all the George Smiths in 1911?
        Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

No, I haven't looked at all the George Smiths on the 1911, using the free search there are 59 George Smiths born 1872+/- 3yrs living in Nottingham.

I also looked at the 1901 but couldn't find anything obvious.

Kelly.

Comment

I've sent you a PM.
            Margaret

Comment

Hi,

I am still having trouble trying to trace George Smith further back.

There is a possibility on the 1911, but using the details I can't find him or his wife on the 1901.

George Smith born 1875 Nottingham and Annie Smith born 1875 Shardlow Derbyshire.

There is a George and Annie Smith on the 1901 both born notts 1875, but this George is a house painter. And it looks like he is on the 1911. My George Smith was a coal miner and in 1911 had been married 12 years.

Comment

I found this, don't know if it helps

Surname Forename Age Occupation Birth Place Address Folio
                Smith Georege 35 Head Coal Hewer Under Ground, Ilkeston, Derbyshire 33 Slade Street, Ilkeston RG13/3150/~F138
                Smith Annie 33 Wife - Ilkeston, Derbyshire ditto
                Smith George H 12 Son - Ditto ditto
                Smith Harry 6 Son - ditto ditto
                Smith Walter 3 Son - ditto ditto
                Smith Cecil 7 M Son - ditto ditto

L

Comment

Originally posted by It_Is_I_Leclerc View Post
                  I found this, don't know if it helps

Surname Forename Age Occupation Birth Place Address Folio
                  Smith Georege 35 Head Coal Hewer Under Ground, Ilkeston, Derbyshire 33 Slade Street, Ilkeston RG13/3150/~F138
                  Smith Annie 33 Wife - Ilkeston, Derbyshire ditto
                  Smith George H 12 Son - Ditto ditto
                  Smith Harry 6 Son - ditto ditto
                  Smith Walter 3 Son - ditto ditto
                  Smith Cecil 7 M Son - ditto ditto

L
                  Hi,

Thank you for your help, I don't think this is the George I have on the 1911. On the 1911 George has 3 children and it states that he had 5 children but only 3 still living.

The children on the 1911 are Walter aged 6, Jack aged 4 and george 2.

I will go and have a look at the one you found anyway because I don't think I saw that couple when I looked.

Kelly.

Comment

Could this be Annie's death
                    Annie L Smith
                    Death Registration Month/Year: 1917
                    Age at death (estimated): 43
                    Registration district: Nottingham
                    Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
                    Volume: 7b
                    Page: 519

Comment

Hi Margaret,

That is deffinetly a possibility. George and Emma married December 1917, so Annies death would tie in.

I will go and have a look to see if I can a Annie L Smith on the census.

Kelly.

P.s Thank you for all of your help, the other day Margaret.

Comment

You're welcome
                        Margaret

Comment

I wonder if this could be the marriage
                          George Smith to Annie Foster
                          Year of Registration: 1899 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                          District: Basford County: Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire
                          Volume: 7b Page: 159

Google maps puts Basford in Nottingham.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Someone did a look-up for me on a disk they have for Notts parish records, and found 2 George Smith to Annie ? in 1899 +/- a year. There were 2 marriages, and the one above was one of them.

I'm not sure if the above marriage is for my George, because someone has a tree on ancestry and that has a George c Smith with parents George Smith and Annie Foster. They have Annie Foster born 1878 Bulwell Nottingham.

The marriage for George and Annie Foster was in Bulwell.

Comment

Working...
                            X