james paul marriage --HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• james paul marriage --HELP!

James Paul married Margaret Mary H Andrews 13/2/1896 in Hampshire.He was a widower and of full age and the bride 19 years and 8 months.

My problem is I can't find a first marriage for him .In 1881 he is single and living with father and stepmother and family in Edinburgh.In 1891 I think I've found him still single and a lodger with a Mary McCulloch,he's a coalmaster. My problem is who and where did he marry in those 5 years? If it's in Scotland how do I search for it? I have full sub to Ancestry but marriages in Scotland don't seem to be searchable.

Would be grateful for any help

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

You have to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for their BMDs and it's a credits system with a minimum spend of £6. It works out good value though because you can often just download an image of the register entry and they also have a lot more details on them than for England & Wales.
    Margaret

Comment

Have you looked on ScotlandsPeople?

You can search for marriages there, but it's a bit hit-&-miss and it is PAYG.

Christine

Margaret's description is more useful than mine!
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just had a quick look on a free search and there are 19 matches for James Paul in the Statutory Marriage registers for 1890 -1896.
        Margaret

Comment

thank you Margaret and Christine,I'll explore that avenue!

Liz
          my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Working...
          X