stephen martins occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stephen martins occupation

i have stephen martin in 1871, in bermonsey, southwark b.1822 middlesex. wife amelia b.bristol. i cant read his occupation, looks coal mater? im hoping it may read coach maker, because then it is a slim chance he may be a relative of mine.

Can you give the reference or a link to the census page please - can't find it at the moment.
    Elaine

Comment

Ignore that - found him under Steven Marten!
      Elaine

Comment

sorry elaine, i thought id spelled right on findmypast. im sick of stephen morton's. i thought id look under martin and variants and see if i had luck, but im not loving it!

Comment

Looks more like Coal meter to me.
          I don't think the second word is maker.

Coalmeter = Measured the coal
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            sorry elaine, i thought id spelled right on findmypast. im sick of stephen morton's. i thought id look under martin and variants and see if i had luck, but im not loving it!
            No problem - it's Martin on FMP and Marten on Ancestry.
            Elaine

Comment

I'm going to regret saying this, but give us some details again of your Stephen Morton that you are trying to find. ;)
              Elaine

Comment

lol, thanks for asking. i have 3 stephen morton's in my tree, one wasnt too hard, the other 2 are!

1) stephen morton b.1775, i have him in 1841 he died 1844, in st giles. a shoemaker, he married anne evans (1778-1844) in 1800 at st george hanover square. i cant fin anything on his origins, but i suspect he is from london.

2) stephen and anne's son stephen (c.1817-?). all i have concrete for him, is he was christened in 1817 with william (1813-1819) and martha (b.1817), all 3 children of stephen and anne. at st giles. i think i have him as a coach maker in hendon in 1841, i cant find this coach maker unless he marries an eliza and becomes a fireman by 1851!!

3) stephen morton, son of richard william morton a coach trimmer, and mary wyatt, probable grandson of stephen and anne. he was born in august 1837 in st anne soho, and dissapears after 1851 in newington with his parents.

im not 100%on william dying in 1819, its a guess, there is a burial for him in st giles, i have yet to double check it.
                martha may have married thomas hastings in 1838 st anne soho, her father there is william, but he has the same occupation as stephen, and i cant find a martha b.1817 with a father william.

see how bad these morton's are?? or is it just me that has problems with london research!!

Comment

I'm really not getting anywhere with this. Can't see anything else other than what you have posted above.
                  Elaine

Comment

i just cant figure out if there's no info online, or just no info! i suspect that they died and there's no certs, or they emmigrated, but to where?

Comment

3) stephen morton, son of richard william morton a coach trimmer, and mary wyatt, probable grandson of stephen and anne. he was born in august 1837 in st anne soho, and dissapears after 1851 in newington with his parents.
                      Can you find any of this family after 1851? I had a quick look but wasn't coming up with much.
                      Elaine

Comment

yes, richard dies in 1856 newington. mary (1806-1881) lives with her son john (1842-1921, my ancestor) and daughter sarah (1835-1917) in 1861, with son joseph (1840-1924) living in the same st. i have traced all of them till their deaths. it's just stephen i cant trace.

Comment

Hi kylejustin - have you tried putting the addresses you have in the London Gazette in case anything comes up..
                          http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/hom...geotype=London (using advanced search is a bit easier)

Comment

Working...
                          X