Isabel Rolfe Burial help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isabel Rolfe Burial help

Hi I wonder if anyone on the forum can help me with a brick wall.

My great grandmother Isabel Rolfe died in 1984 at Goodmayes Hospital, Ilford in Essex but unfortunately there is no one who knows where she was buried. We live in Scotland and my father attended the funeral but cannot remember where it took place - not even if it was a crematorium or a cemetery!!!

So far I have tried City of London, the LMA (by telephone) and Manor Park but with no luck. Other places eg Tower Hamlets and East London have not responded. As it wasn't that long ago is there not a central database I can check?

Her details were Isabel Rolfe (formerly Isabel Smith (1st married name) maiden name Ward) - also sometimes known as Isabella.
    Date of birth 27th December 1894 in West Ham
    Date of death 11th July 1984 Goodmayes Hospital, Barley Lane Ilford - District of Redbridge
    Her 2nd husband Eric Rolfe is listed as deceased on her death certificate
    She is not with her 1st husband Solomon Smith who is buried in Manor Park

Would it have been the norm to place an obituary in the local paper at that time? If so are they available online or do you try the local libraries?

Can anyone think of anything else I could try

Manythanks as always

Steven
    Last edited by stevie2006; 03-10-10, 10:21.

Have you tried Rush Green cemetery, Romford. That's a big cemetery not too far away.
    Margaret

Comment

Will do Margaret - thanks for the quick reply. I have also emailed Redbridge Library to see if they ave local papers that might contain an obituary - if the family placed one in the paper it might give me a clue

Steven

Comment

Here's a link for Havering Council and their enquiry point for family history research http://www.havering.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3428
        Margaret

Comment

You might also want to try the London Borough of Redbridge. There's a link here with the details

Last edited by Night Owl; 03-10-10, 10:42. Reason: spelling
          Jackie

Comment

I had a look here http://www.gravestonephotos.com/ but nothing showing

Comment

Thanks Margaret thats looks good -no email but will try call them Monday

Thanks Jackie tried them but unfortunately no luck. Good site though

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven
                Was there a home address for Isabel on her death certificate & was her death registered by the hospital or a relative?
                Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie it gave Isabel's place of death as Goodmayes Hospital and that was also given as her place of residence. I think she had lived in a home or hospital for some years prior to her death. The informant was her daughter (my grandfather was living Scotland) and her address was given as 24 Boundary Road, Clayhall, Ilford in Essex. I do know that Isabel lived for many years at 88A Ley Street in Ilford, Essex.

Steven

Comment

RESULT!!!!! - after sending 20 odd emails out over the weekend and the same last weekend I finally got an email from someone at Redbridge Library who then gave me a contact for Westerleigh Group - a very helpful lady there then checked the register and was able to tell me that she was buried there with her second husband Eric Rolfe. I then talked nicely to her and she very kindly took a photo this afternoon and emailed it to me. If anyone needs a number for Redbridge District let me know.

Big thank you to Redbridge Library and Westerleigh Group and those on the forum who once again helped me out

Steven

Comment

Working...
                    X