Hms duncan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hms duncan

Any ideas please on where or how to search for my father's uncle who served on HMS Duncan during the 1st world war.
    I have had a quick look on National Archives but can't seem to find him.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

JAMES WALKER RITCHIE B. 6/7/1894 WEST LINTON, PEEBLESHIRE, SCOTLAND

Many Thanks
    Katherine
    Last edited by Katherine; 03-10-10, 07:04. Reason: spelling error

cant find him but this site is interesting
    HMS Duncan was the name ship of the Duncan class of pre-dreadnought battleships. She spent most of the First World War in the Mediterranean, becoming involved in the Allied intervention in Greece.

Comment

Hi Val,
      Thank you very much for the link, I will have a look at that.

Regards
      Katherine

Comment

Katherine, you might find some useful links in our Military Research section in the Reference Library (accessed via the home page).
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, your help is much appreciated.

Regards
          Katherine

Comment

Hi again Elaine,
            Do you know if HMS Duncan would be Royal Navy or Merchant Navy?
            I have no knowledge of this sort of thing I'm afraid.

Thanks
            Katherine

Comment

Hi - this tells more about the ship - http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operatio...tFormat/print/
              how did you find that James (might be under Jim or Jimmy) was on the HMS Duncan during WW1?
              In August, 1914, she was still in re-fit - and then she was involved in various missions relating to WW1, but it doesn't say exactly when - "bombarding German submarine bases off the Belgium coast, guarding the UK against German invasions and aiding troops in landing at Athens". She was placed on the disposal list in March, 1919.

Comment

I've tried to attach this document but it doesn'y upload, hence I'm pasting it in.

Tracing
                Royal Navy Ancestry

The purpose of this information sheet is to
                provide guidance on tracing Royal Navy personnel. More detailed information can
                be found in our publication Tracing Your Family History: Royal Navy– this can be purchased from the Imperial War Museum online, through mail orderor the shop

The Museum does not hold
                any personal service records or official documentation, but can help the
                enquirer as long as some basic facts are known.
                The Department of Printed Books welcomes visitors by appointment and is
                able to provide useful reading material and advice for finding out more about
                those who served. Other reference
                departments in the Museum – Art, Documents, Exhibits and Firearms, Film and
                Photograph Archives, and the Sound Archive – may also be able to assist.

Department of Printed Books, Imperial War
                Museum, Lambeth Road, London SE1 6HZ

Tel: (+44) 020 7416 5342

Fax: (+44) 020 7416 5246

Email: books@iwm.org.uk

Where
                to Find Royal Navy Service Records

The Imperial War Museum only covers the
                period from the First World War onwards. Most of the relevant records relating
                to naval genealogical research are either still held by Ministry of Defence agencies or The National Archives (formerly
                the Public Record Office). Genealogical enquiries to the various
                Ministry of Defence agencies must be made in writing, but do not receive
                priority as their principal concern is to respond to official enquiries
                concerning welfare, pensions and other legal matters. The basic search fee, if levied, is currently
                £30.

Personnel records available to the public are
                now held by The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU (Tel:
                020 8876 3444; Website: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)
                For anyone intending to do their own research The National Archives
                (TNA) has produced invaluable guides to their holdings; of particular
                importance are Tracing Your Ancestors in The National Archives, 7threvised edition edited by Amanda Bevan (Richmond, Surrey: TNA, 2006),
                A
                Guide to the Naval Records in The National Archives of the UK
                by
                Randolph Cock and NAM Rodger (London: Institute of Historical Research, 2006)
                and Tracing
                Your Naval Ancestors
                by Bruno
                Pappalardo (Richmond, Surrey: PRO, 2003).

Pre-First World War service records, and
                ratings’ personnel files and officers’ records dating to 1923, are now held at
                TNA. Records for ratings who were
                regular servicemen between 1873 and 1923 are now available online at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline For service records dating from 1924 onwards,
                please write to Data Protection Cell, Director Naval Career Management,
                Disclosure Cell, Room 109, Victory Building, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth,
                Hampshire PO1 3LS

You
                might also find this interesting.

Comment

Hi Naomiatt,
                  We have a postcard which James sent to his sister in 1915. On the front is HMS Duncan. We also have photographs of him in his naval uniform which he also sent to his sister.
                  This is where I got some info so it looks like James would be in the med in 1915. Everyone called him JIM and he always signed everything with the name JIM.
                  HMS Duncan was the name ship of the Duncan class of pre-dreadnought battleships. She spent most of the First World War in the Mediterranean, becoming involved in the Allied intervention in Greece.

In 1915 she was sent to the Mediterranean, but not to the Dardanelles. Instead she was one of the British battleships attached to the Italian fleet, retaining that connection into 1917. During her time in the Mediterranean she became involved in the Allied intervention in Greece. In October 1916 she was part of the fleet that seized the Greek fleet, landing troops on Lipso Island. On 1 December (with HMS Exmouth) she landed marines in Athens in a short-lived direct intervention. During 1917 she returned to Britain and was placed into the reserve to free up her crew to serve on more modern vessels.

Thank You for your help Naomiatt
                  Regards
                  Katherine

Comment

Hi Alec,
                    Thank you so much for all the information you have kindly given me. It means a lot to me to have help on this & I'm very grateful.
                    I think £30 is a small price to pay if it will help me piece together his life.
                    I know when/where he was born, who his parents & siblings were etc but have found nothing since he sent the postcard to his sister in 1915.
                    Thank you once again for your help.
                    Kind Regards
                    Katherine

Comment

Records

Originally posted by Katherine View Post
                      Any ideas please on where or how to search for my father's uncle who served on HMS Duncan during the 1st world war.
                      I have had a quick look on National Archives but can't seem to find him.
                      Any help would be much appreciated.

JAMES WALKER RITCHIE B. 6/7/1894 WEST LINTON, PEEBLESHIRE, SCOTLAND

Many Thanks
                      Katherine
                      Hi, maybe if you have his service number or similar info, you can obtain his service records if you are a relative from...

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

Comment

Thank you teg, I will have a look.

Regards
                        Katherine

Comment

Purely by coincidence, I will be attending the launch of the new HMS Duncan on Monday which is taking place at the Govan yard on the Clyde. I work for BAE Systems and will be working on the computer systems in due course.

Good luck with finding James.

Comment

Working...
                          X