Wilsher brick wall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilsher brick wall!

Hello folks, I am new to the forum and very excited to be in touch with so many keen family historians. I have been trying to research my father's tree for the past couple of years now, became quite obsessive about it and uncovered a few scandals but have now hit the proverbial brick wall!

I have only really covered the obvious things to date as am not that experienced at digging around, which is why I'm so pleased to have been recommended this site

At the moment I am trying to focus on one person at a time otherwise I seem to lose direction so here is my current dilemma.....

Joseph Henry Wilsher, born 1895 in Islington, London. I can't seem to find anything about him other than his birth record and the 1901 and 1911 census entries. Any advice on where I might go next to find Marriage / Descendents etc gratefully received!!

Sorry for the long post, probably shouldn't have combined the intro with the query!

Huge thanks, Sam

Welcome to Family Tree Forum!

Joseph Wilsher shows on the National Roll of the Great War 1914-1918 as serving in the Royal Navy. Do you have this information?
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine, thanks for your reply. No I haven't found this and can almost jump for joy that you've pointed it out to me! I have honestly been stuck with Joseph for ages. Would you mind telling me where I can see this roll. Sorry I know it's probably obvious to the more experienced person!

Comment

It's available on Family Relatives and Find my Past. Although Ancestry also have this database they don't seem to have all of it.

This could be his service record from the National Archives
        Elaine

Comment

Hi - could there be a connection to a Chaplain surname?
          A Joseph Willsher* or Joseph Wilsher* Chaplain passed away in 1962 - 9 St. Matthias Street, Leeds, Yorkshire -
          Retired Billiard Hall Proprietor... http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/42833/pages/8968

Comment

Thank you so much Elaine that is the chap and I now have a copy of the NA service record. I am so pleased, I have been hunting for his military records for ages, mainly using Ancestry though which might explain why I have missed it. I thought their lists were fairly comprehensive but obviously not!

Naomiatt, thanks for your reply. I am not aware of a Chaplain connection but am going to have a good dig around this once the kids have gone to bed this evening. Wouldn't have thought to look there for info. I obviously need to broaden my search material.

Is there anywhere other than Ancestry and FreeBMD that I should look for marriage certificates as I am struggling with this also?

Comment

Does his Navy records give a date of discharge? Is there a possibility he may have married/died abroad whilst serving in the RN, in which case might be worth searching the overseas BMDs which are available on Family Relatives (free) or Findmypast (subscription or credits).
              Elaine

Comment

It's hard to read quickly, may need a second pair of eyes to have a look for me! It does have a stamp on it which says "record transferred to card as from 1/1/1929 so I assume this suggests that his service would be recorded elsewhere from this point on and that he was still employed by the Navy?

Comment

Don't know much about naval records, sorry!
                  You might find some useful tips on our Military Research page in the Reference Library.
                  Elaine

Comment

I'm going to make a cuppa and take a read through that now thank you. I don't seem to have much luck finding the military records. Is it likely that Joseph's brother Frederick Ernest Wilsher would have a call up record of some sort? He wasn't born until 1899 and I wonder if he would have been too young?

Comment

Working...
                    X