Emma Verity nee Stirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Verity nee Stirk

I have been helping my friend to find out more about her 2xgreat grandmother Emma Stirk. There is a family story that Emma’s mother Elizabeth was in service & was dismissed for being “in the family way” Many years later two ladies arrived looking for her & were sent packing by Emma – “If my mother wasn’t good enough for you so you aren’t good enough for me”

We wanted to see if we could find if there was any truth in this story.
    We found Emma on the census returns back to 1851 when she was aged 9 living with Edwin Verity & his wife Elizabeth and younger children. We also found the marriage between Edwin Verity & Elizabeth Stirk, so we were quite happy that we had the correct people.

Then yesterday Emma’s marriage certificate arrived.
    She married Sam Verity – a cousin of her younger half-siblings. However on her marriage certificate there is a father’s name – Edwin Stirk.
    My friend wonders if we should be looking for a different family, but I think that she has given her stepfather’s first name and the registrar has assumed that his surname was Stirk. Is it reasonable that this is what could have happened?

We still haven’t been able to shed any light onto the family story.
    Janet

please visit my blog http://2pdesignsfh.blogspot.co.uk/ ;)

Janet

Sounds exactly right to me. Lots of mine used a made up name consisting of someone near to them, lol, or, as you say, the Registrar just assumed.

More to the point, have you found Emma's birth certificate?

OC

Comment

I thought it was most likely - I have heard about one birth certificate where the mother registering the birth gave her father's name & not the child's father.

My friend hasn't got the birth certificate yet - she is working her way back slowly - I will suggest that she gets that one next.
      Janet

please visit my blog http://2pdesignsfh.blogspot.co.uk/ ;)

Comment

Working...
      X