Help needed with Johnsons in Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Johnsons in Derby

I am having lots of problems trying to sort out this family - here is what I know.

Charlotte Warren is born in 1822 in West Hallam in Derbyshire. In 1841 she is a Female Servant at a Pub in Sandiacres (the pub is run by her sister-in-laws mother.)

In 1851 she is Housekeeper for Thomas Johnson in Kilbourne, Derbyshire and has 2 sons, John aged 7, born in Holbrook and Henry aged 2 born Holbrook.

Thomas and Charlotte have a daughter Martha Ann, 3 Nov 1851,in Kilbourn registered under the name of Johnson, even though Charlotte and Thomas don't marry until 26 July 1852 in Duffield.

There is another daughter, Charlotte, born in 1854 in Belper.

This is where it starts to unravel. Charlotte senior dies sometime between 1854 and 1858 when Thomas, who is now in Nottingham remarries, to Hannah Mills. I am trying to find Charlottes death entry, but so far am having no luck. I have had GRO searches in Nottingham and Basford but they can find no matches. Another problem is that there was a child, Robert Johnson, born around 1857, but I am not sure if he is Charlottes or Hannahs. I am also having trouble finding an appropriate birth entry for either Robert Johnson/Robert Mills. Hannah was previously married to Robert Mills who died in 1858.

So I am trying to find:

Charlotte Johnsons death entry
    Robert Johnsons/Mills birth entry
    John Warren birth entry and any census entry after 1851
    Henry Warrens birth entry and any census entry after 1861 (he is listed as Henry Johnson on 1861)

Here is the 1851 Census:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...=&pid=10445842 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2144; Folio: 320; Page: 2; GSU roll: 87775.

and the 1861: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/D...=&pid=22207070 Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2457; Folio: 103; Page: 10; GSU roll: 542974.

Hope this all makes sense - I am going round in circles with this lot.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Have you checked to see if Charlotte is on the 61 seperately, seeing as you can't find a death reg?

Comment

Hadn't thought of that Treesa - will have a look later as I have to nip out now.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Poss? birth for Mills Robert Boyd Nottingham Jun qtr 1856 Not sure if Robert born Nottingham or not, as I can't see the census.

Comment

there is a charlotte johnson stating unmarried on the 1861 but she is in stockport, she says born in alfreton.

Class: RG9; Piece: 2566; Folio: 32; Page: 4; GSU roll: 542991.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Poss death? Charlotte Johnson 1872 Newark Lincolnshire/ Nottingham q2 bc 1819
            or 1890 q2 Chapel en le Frith Derbyshire bc1824.

Comment

Sorry, forgot to say Robert Johnson born in Nottingham, age 4 on 1861, age 16 on 1871 census, no sightings after that. I'll do some more checking on that sighting in Stockport and also those deaths in 1872 and 1890, thanks to both of you.

Linda
              Linda

Comment

1861: there is a 17yo John Warren as a servant in Holbrook

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 2508; Folio: 121; Page: 4; GSU roll: 542981.

Hmmn not sure that this is your John as there seems to be another in 1851 with parents John/hannah from turnditch
                Julie

Comment

And I was getting all excited there! It does look as though it's the one with John/Hannah as parents. The Charlotte who dies in 1872 I found on 1871 census with a large family, so is definitely not mine, still looking for the one who dies in 1890. I'm not sure about the one in Stockport, but at the moment don't think she is.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

What did Robert do on the 71 census age 16? Was he down as Johnson?

Comment

Sorry to ask, but where was Hannah (Mills) born and when?

Comment

Hi Treesa, no problem, Roberts profession is a Smith in the 1871, his surname is Johnson. Hannah was born in 1818 in Normanton on Trent, as Hannah Hewitt, she married John Jacques in Aston warwickshire in 1846 and had 2 daughters, Sarah born 1851 and Jane b. 1847, d. 1852. John died in 1853, and later that year she married Robert Mills who died in 1858. (Busy lady!). She had another daughter with Thomas Johnson in 1861, also called Jane.

Sarah Jacques is also on the 1861 and 1871 censuses, but she is listed as Johnson on those.

(you can see why this family are causing me grief )

Linda
                        Last edited by ozgirl; 01-10-10, 15:36.
                        Linda

Comment

now this is purely speculative:

working on the principle that they staying in Nottm st marys.

1871: Henry Johnson and Wife Sarah Ann

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3517; Folio: 35; Page: 2; GSU roll: 839749.

1881:

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3353; Folio: 20; Page: 4; GSU roll: 1341800.

1891:cant see them..
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-10-10, 18:33.
                          Julie

Comment

have you found Hannah on the 1891 census? I guess you have

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
                            Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, yes thanks, I have Hannah on the 1891, she died in 1899. She is with daughter Sarah, who had married Arthur Walter Mellard, but in 1891 Arthur is in Lancashire "married" to Elizabeth and with 4 children. They marry for real in 1908 - possibly Sarah had died by then, but again, I'm having trouble tracking down her death registration!

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

I have no idea if these are relevant but found these:

Deaths Dec 1908
                                MILLS Robert Boyd 1 Nottingham (7b 193)

Deaths Mar 1895
                                Johnstone Robert Boyd 35 Toxteth Park (8b 181)

Comment

Thanks again Treesa - these Boyd Mills seem just as coy as the Johnsons, and don't like to appear on censuses either - I can find 3 different births for them, 2 marriages and so far 2 deaths registered, but not a single census!

Linda
                                  Linda

Comment

there is a Henry Johnson death in Nottm March Q 1913 aged 64, vol 7b, page, 528.

might be worthwhile seeing if he shows on the 1911??
                                    Julie

Comment

Sorry Julie, missed your previous post with the Henry Johnson bits - they are very interesting, and I had a look at the 1911 for Henry Johnson - he is in the workhouse, and his occupation is Lace machine fitter, which would tie in with the Hosiery machine fitter of 1881. I'll see if I can find him on 1901, and also try to track his marriage - the certificate for that would help I'm sure.

Many thanks

Linda
                                      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                        Sorry Julie, missed your previous post with the Henry Johnson bits - they are very interesting, and I had a look at the 1911 for Henry Johnson - he is in the workhouse, and his occupation is Lace machine fitter, which would tie in with the Hosiery machine fitter of 1881. I'll see if I can find him on 1901, and also try to track his marriage - the certificate for that would help I'm sure.

Many thanks

Linda
                                        that does tie in very nicely doesnt it? about him being a lace machine fitter.

there is a marriage between a Henry Johnson and a Sarah Ann Bramley on 16th May 1869 at St. Lukes in Sneinton.
                                        Now, looking at my parish map I see that St. lukes is quite near to St. Marys

I will have a look to see if I can find the marriage in the index

edit: June q 1869, nottingham, 7b, page 290, names as above, from freereg
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-10-10, 19:48.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X