Devon Marriage-HAYMAN/GOULD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Marriage-HAYMAN/GOULD

I have been unable to trace a marriage for William Hayman and Ann Gould. I think it is probably in Devon around or shortly before 1813(based on childrens baptism).
    Does anyone have access to Devon marriages who could kindly look for me.
    Thanks

I see that Family Search Beta has the following baptisms :- Henry Hayman 3 Dec 1818, Elizabeth Gould, 8 Nov 1820, at Copper House Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hayle. Parents William Hayman and Ann Gould. Are these yours? If so, it raises a number of points.

Were the parents actually married (see Elizabeth's recorded surname)?
    If they married, might it have been in a Methodist Chapel? (Not sure if at that time this was permitted). If so, might that mean that it would not have been registered in the parish (church) register?
    Might the marriage have taken place in Cornwall?

More questions than answers, I know, and I may be well off target, but I hope it might help you focus your search.

Comment

Yes the baptisms you have found are them.
      Elizabeth is actually called Elizabeth Gould Hayman. The father became a Methodist Minister so I feel they probably were married.
      Yes could easily have been a Cornwall marriage. But they both come from Devon. On a point of interest there first known child was born in Oxford. Again it is possible they married there.

Comment

Have you thought of contacting Devon FHS? For a few (3/4) pounds they could provide you with a print-out of all the William Hayman marriages they have listed - they do not do individual searches. Of course if he was not married in Devon you would draw a blank. It could be the same if his was a "chapel" marriage, but it might be worth a shot.

Alternatively they have a forum (www board) where you could post a message. You do not have to be a member. Have a look at their site.
        Last edited by brentor boy; 01-10-10, 08:50.

Comment

In my experience, Methodist records always give the maiden name of the mother, married or not, which is extremely useful!

Marriages still had to be performed in a C of E church at that time to be legal. Several of my most devoutly nonconformist families appear to have had no such marriage and I can only conclude they had some kind of ceremony in their own church, preferring not to step foot in a C of E church.

Another tip - as they were Methodists, you may find some events recorded on the circuit records. I am not sure what/where they would be, for Cornwall.

OC

Comment

I have just realised that the Devon marriage records are also available on Find my past. I have done a quick check which shows 2 Ann Goulds and 10 William Haymans marrying between 1812-15. Unfortunately I cannot see if any were married to each other as I do not hold a subscription. Another possible avenue for you to investigate.

Your original post caught my eye as my grandmother was a Hayman from Devon, but I no have reason to think we might be connected. As you may have already discovered, it is not an uncommon name in the area.
            Last edited by brentor boy; 01-10-10, 09:12.

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
              I have just realised that the Devon marriage records are also available on Find my past. I have done a quick check which shows 2 Ann Goulds and 10 William Haymans marrying between 1812-15. Unfortunately I cannot see if any were married to each other as I do not hold a subscription. Another possible avenue for you to investigate.

Your original post caught my eye as my grandmother was a Hayman from Devon, but I no have reason to think we might be connected. As you may have already discovered, it is not an uncommon name in the area.
              I had seen those records on FMP but like you I do not have a sub. Hoping sks would look it up for me.
              Yes I have discovered lots of Hayman in Devon especially.

Thanks for the Devon FHS idea. As a member of the M&L FHS I should have thought of it myself.
              Thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                In my experience, Methodist records always give the maiden name of the mother, married or not, which is extremely useful!

Marriages still had to be performed in a C of E church at that time to be legal. Several of my most devoutly nonconformist families appear to have had no such marriage and I can only conclude they had some kind of ceremony in their own church, preferring not to step foot in a C of E church.

Another tip - as they were Methodists, you may find some events recorded on the circuit records. I am not sure what/where they would be, for Cornwall.

OC
                I have a number of Methodists and other types of Non-Con in my tree, but can never trace who has the records. Writing to churches,record offices,FHS, none seem to have the answer

Comment

I did a quick check with Freebmd to see if they may have married later, in a civil ceremony, but nothing's coming up.

Do you know why the family was living in Hayle at the time? Was he a Methodist preacher at that time, or doing some other work? Copperhouse Chapel was huge and very influential in the town and I just wondered if it was the Chapel that drew him to Hayle. It's an odd choice of a home otherwise, lol.

Not being legally married would not have been seen as a drawback in the Wesleyan circle at that time, in fact it would have been seen as proof of Wesleyan piety and shown the couple not to be hypocrites!

One of the many reasons for the introduction of civil marriage in 1837 was to cater for those who had strong nonconformist religious beliefs - there were hundreds of thousands of them by 1837.

OC

Comment

Thanks for those thoughts/ideas OC I shall certainly bear them in mind.
                    Sorry do not know exactly when he became a Minister.But he was certainly one in 1834 because he signed the Baptism Register in Barnstaple, Devon for an Elizabeth Hayman Gould, Daughter of John and Elizabeth Gould nee Sadler

Comment

Hi
                      I know thi does not relate to your actual request, but wonder if this is any use to you.
                      I am a volunteer for http://www.gravestonephotos.com and when indexing today came across this Monument with 3 inscriptions in Barnstaple cemetery.

Mary widow of the Rev Henry Hayman, Wesleyen Minister and daughter of the late William Dale of Truro Cornwall who fell asleep in Jesus oct 24th 1891 aged 72
                      also Henry Hayman son of the above who died Feb 14th 1906, aged 56 or 58, interred at Exeter cemetery.

The next side is badly affected by lichen but appears to be for a S. Kate. L......., daughter of the Rev John

3rd side is
                      The Rev John Holmes, Wesleyen minister died 1891 aged 78
                      also Susan wife of above and daughter of the late William Dale of Truro Cornwall Nov 18th 1890.

I know I have indexed quite a few Goulds in the N Devon area and I have come across Hayman before, but sadly so far not the ones you have indicated, so if you haven't already done so it may be worth taking a look at the website, it is quite easy to navigate.

It will take a while for this particular image to reach the project as I have quite a bit more indexing to do and a busy few months ahead so if this monument links into your tree and you would like copies of the pictures, pm me and I will send them to you.

Mandy
                      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Hi Mandy,
                        Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
                        Henry Hayman is on my tree with wife Mary. Untill now I did not know maiden name. I do now!!.I had Mary's date of death from Probate on Ancestry and they both agree. So definately same family.
                        Could you send me photos.I will pm my E-Mail address.
                        Now to look at the other info. you posted and the Web site
                        Once again Thank you.

Comment

No worries, glad to be of help. I have emailed photo's however if there are any problems let me know and I will photobucket them for you.
                          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

William Hayman
                            Ann Gould
                            18th August. 1813
                            Barnstaple.

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                              William Hayman
                              Ann Gould
                              18th August. 1813
                              Barnstaple.
                              Thank you very much for that-another link in the chain found.

Comment

Working...
                              X