Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Newspapers

Not quite sure where to post this.

But thought it may be of interest (from a friend on another Forum).

Free Access to 19th Century Newspapers

Just to let you know that there is free access to the 19th Century British Library Newspapers Collection again.

Type in test for the password.
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

What a bummer, I'm just gearing up to go on holiday.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Um ? UJ
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Can't you get access from Bedfordshire libraries UJ? I had to give mine up because I don't live in Bedfordshire but I can now get access with Cumbria Libraries.

Free access (presumably temporary?) is good because I think there are some countiy libraries which don't do it.

Anne

Comment

A useful bit of information from the same thread on general...

Originally posted by Astro Lady
          Hi Dorothy

You can also access this and other newspapers for free if you join Lancashire Library.
          You can join online and they'll send you a library card with an access number.
          You can live anywhere in the UK to join, it doesn't mean you have to live close by. ;)

Comment

You can join Lancashire library from other parts of the world too Velma
            Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
            Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
            Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

when I joined the Bedfordshire one a while ago I was told the same thing , but now I am not allowed to access it ?
              So going to join the Lancashire one instead

Comment

Yes, Val, Bedfordshire got their wrists slapped by GaleGroup for offering tickets to anyone. They were very apologetic when they had to withdraw the service. (LOL all my Dad's family came from Bedfordshire!!) I really don't know how Lancashire are apparently getting away with it - unless they are paying more of course!

Anne

Comment

is that right Anne did think it strange .

Comment

Another that has it is Oxfordshire, and they offer membership to people resident in adjoining local authorities, so worth looking at for anyone who lives in the neighbouring counties.

Comment

thanks. I wonder how long it will last. I typed Horne Moreton in Narsh and found dozens of adverts for manure. The family were seed merchants. I particularly recommend the mangel and turnip manure which is equally as good as guano containing dried bones, phosphate and ammonia.

ooh I have jst found a Clifford bancrupcy I knew nothing about. Also one of my Blacker's selling a cottage with 3 sitting rooms and seven bedrooms. I could play on the site all night.
                      Last edited by anniern; 30-09-10, 20:05.
                      Anne

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Just found that my ggg uncle was turned down by the merchant seaman's orphan asylum in 1863, and my gg-grandfather accidently cut his wrist while stropping his razor on his hand :conf: His life was despaired of, apparently, though I know he lived for another three years

Comment

tis not fair I havent found anything good

Comment

How do you go about searching the newspapers? Do you just put in a name and see what comes up?
                            Any tips please.

June

Comment

Bedfordshire didn't have access to Gale when I looked a few weeks ago.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
                                How do you go about searching the newspapers? Do you just put in a name and see what comes up?
                                Any tips please.

June
                                If you have an uncommon surname it might be worth just putting that in. Otherwise you can put the name in quotes like "Joseph East". This was one of my names I found a lot on. As you can see it would have been useless putting in just East !!!! LOL.

When you get more used to the system you can pick the newspapers you want to look at, although you'd be surprised at how wide ranging some of them were. Also you might find the same bit of news reported in the same words in several different papers.

It is quite laborious so be prepared to give it some time to search!

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne

I'll give it a go.

June

Comment

O dear. I'm supposed to be wading my way through boxes of apples and tomatoes. Instead I've spent the day finding lots of death dates in the newspapers. Really this can be so addictive. Now to bed.
                                    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
                                      Any tips please.

June
                                      Couple of tips (although you've probably already worked these out for yourselves):

When you do the initial search, make sure you look in the dropdown box that has "keyword" written in by default. I usually change it to "entire document". You can narrow it down afterwards if necessary.

If you know about a death, especially if there was a will, look for a year or so after the death. My 3xg grandparents died (a day apart) and several months later the entire contents of their home was put up for auction. I now have a list of the contents from the auction advert which gives me a better idea of the sort of things they owned. Ironically, although their house is no longer there, the auction was held in the local inn - I've had lunch there although I didn't realise it at the time
                                      Jackie

Comment

Thanks for these tips Jackie.

It certainly helps.

June

Comment

Working...
                                        X