CATER - Southwark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CATER - Southwark

Can anyone find the following family on any other census? This is 1881, but I can't find anyone on 1891, 1901 or 1871 or 1861. I really want to work out when William & Elizabeth got married. According to Eliza's birth certificate Elizabeth's maiden name was LATE James FORMERLY Gooding. I can't find any reference to their marriage. I have found a marriage of an Elizabeth Gooding to a Charles James, but its in Norfolk and I don't think its correct. I don't think that William & Elizabeth were married, unless they were non-conformist. Any ideas anyone? (this is also posted on Roots Chat)

1 Myers Place, St Georges, Southwark
    William Cater Head age 36 born in City of London
    Elizabeth Cater wife age 36 born in St James, London
    Fanny Cater daug age ?? born Southwark
    Mary Cater daug age 14? born Southwark
    Elizabeth Cater daug age 12 born Southwark
    Eliza Cater daug age 8 born Southwark
    William Cater son age 3 born Southwark
    Anne Cater daug age 11 months born Southwark

heres William in 1871 says Woodcutter
    mistranscribed as Cato
    he is unmarried???
    Last edited by Guest; 29-09-10, 20:19.

Comment

this could be him in 1891 a saw Wrist Dealer ,with a new wife Emma ???

Comment

Death? Elizabeth Cater 1885 qSep St George H Sq. age 48

Comment

Do you think with the 71, that Val found, where William is unmarried that he was married before Elizabeth but stated unmarried rather than widower? You have Eliza's birth cert, but it may not be that the next daughter in age, Elizabeth, is the child of Elizabeth senior? Or alternatively, William was married before to another Elizabeth, bearing in mind that there is a gap between daughter Eliza age 8 and son William aged 3. Although there may have been children in between who had died?

Comment

I think the birth certificate is the wrong one. It says her father was an engineer, yet on her marriage cert he says he was a Coster. I can't see how an engineer ended up being a coster to be honest. Also Eliza appears on later census and also on her own children's birth certs using Ellen, Elizabeth and Eliza in several different combinations. I've got all the paper work and I'm trying to start from the top and work down.

Comment

So is the 81 the right family, just the wrong birth cert for Eliza?

Comment

I think 81 is the right family, but I'm still not 100% sure. So I'm sort of starting again. Here are facts from the certificates.

Death cert of Elizabeth Fee - St Olave (Bermondsey) district. Died 10 Jan 1933. Widow of Henry Arthur Fee. Informant was H.A.Fee, son.

Marriage cert - St Mary Magdalene, Southwark. 25 Dec 1896
                Henry Arthur Fee, 22, a carman - father Henry Arthur Fee at hatter
                Eliza Cater, 22 - father William Cater a coster
                wit: John Buyers (?) and Jane Franks

1911 Census - Trinity Buildings
                Henry A Fee, head,36 a carman, born: Not known
                Eliza Fee, wife, 36, born Bermondsey
                Henry A Fee, son, 12, born Bermondsey
                Thomas W Fee, son 11, born Bermondsey
                Annie Fee, daug, 5, born Bermondsey
                Katie Fee, daug, 2, born Southwark

1901 census - Decima Street, Bermondsey
                Henry A Fee, head, 26, coopers labourer, born St Saviours
                Eliza Fee, wife, 25, born Bermondsey
                Henry A Fee, son, 2, born Bermondsey
                William Fee, son, 7mths, born Bermondsey

So, is this the correct birth cert?
                26 May 1874, St Olave, Eliza Elizabeth, father William Cater, mother Elizabeth Cater, late James formerly Gooding
                fathers occupation - engineer

I also have a marriage entry for William Cater, who is supposidly Eliza's brother
                25 Dec 1898, Southwark
                William Cater, 22, cooper, father William Cater, a cooper
                Ada Guthrie, 20, father James Guthrie, engineer
                wit: Charles Hallett and Edith Guthrie

William and Ada show up on the 1911, with 2 children. I've been told the William took over the cooper business from his father. If William and Eliza are brother and sister, either the marriage entry that show's William to be a coster is incorrect (or I can't read) OR he changed career between 1896 and 1898 - which is possible in either instance.

I will continue to shout at Ancestry and other website and also bang my head on the desk until I crack this one!
                When did Eliza's parents get married??? Or did they get married? Who was her mother? Also, who was the mother of Henry Fee?? He's another slippery character who also doesn't exist before he married Eliza!!!

Comment

Right, pure speculation but what about this?
                  1911 Harry Fee, bc1849 Living Southwark Occupation Hatter
                  1901 Henry Fee bc 1851, living Southwark
                  1891 Henry Fee bc 1849 Living St Saviours Southwark
                  1881 this is where I come unstuck, as there is a Henry fee bc1874, but his father is Joseph?! B Germany
                  1871 there is one for Northumberland?

You have probably seen these already, and I can't be certain if these are relevant as I can't see the full details and the actual census image. I did wonder if Henry A Fee, was born under a different surname and he took his stepfather's name?

Comment

From the 1881 for ELiza aged 8, if she was just turned 8 then birth around 1873 Q1 or q2, or if she was nearly 9 then 1872 q 2 or q 3? Not much help though in narrowing it down.

Comment

Have you considered getting a birth cert for one of the older children?

Comment

Working...
                      X