Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with James Pike Mitchell

Hi

Does any one have access to Parish records for Oxfordshire. I have found a marriage for a James Pike Mitchell 2Q of 1840 Banbury Oxfordshire, possibly Ratley.

I know I can send for the certificate but as it is not a direct ancestor I was hoping that someone might be able to supply the information with out me having to pay for the certificate.

Also, assuming that this is the correct marriage( I think it is based on the name and birth place of his wife Mary) can anyone find the couple in 1841 and Mary in 1851. I should add that I think I have found James in 1851 living as a lodger in Bordsley Street Birmingham as a Coach body builder.

For reference the couple are together in 1861 living in Sherbourne Place Cheltenham, but Pike has been wrongly transcribed as Peter.

Many thanks, Sandra

Not having any luck so far but came across Death Reg if you dont have it; 1873 Q3 Aston(1837-1924) 6D/201.
    Looking at Marriage in Q2 1840 Banbury, the Lady is Mary Gardner.
    Last edited by AlanC; 29-09-10, 09:02. Reason: more detail

Comment

From Record Search
      Marriage was 11 May 1840 Ratley
      James Pike Mitchell (father John)
      Mary Gardner (father William)

Seem to have son John William born soon after, possibly in Oxford, so maybe
      1841 Oxford HO107 piece 891 book 15 folio 32 page 26
      1851 Cheltenham HO107 piece 1973 folio 204 page 42

Comment

Hi Alan and Johnny,

Thank you both for trying to help.

Johnny, the marriage you found would seem to be then one I am looking for and James' father's name is correct. Is there any indication as to the occupation of John Mitchell and to you know who the witnesses were?

Sandra

Comment

Hi
          No other details on the Ratley marriage, I'm afraid. I can do a look up at the FHC next time I go, if no one else can provide the info before.
          Just going on a later marriage, John William Mitchell to Mary Ann Offer in Hammersmith 22/8/1864. His father given as James Pike Mitchell. (From Record Search, its not on the Ancestry LMA collection) A lot of John Mitchells about, but in Hammersmith in 1881 a John W Mitchell, 40, born Oxfordshire, Coach Body Maker. Wife Mary A. So a bit of a coincidence, the same occupation. Could be with his mother and sister in Cheltenham 1851.

John
          Last edited by JonnyB; 29-09-10, 12:20.

Comment

Thank you Johnny. I really would appreciate if you could check the FHC next time you go. I am trying to prove that James Pike Mitchell was the son of John Mitchell an Ann Pike.

The family came from Somerset and John was a Carpenter and both John and Ann died before the 1851 census.

However, the evidence so far is encouraging, particularly as I think James' brother William was a coach builder and was living in Cheltenham in 1851.

Thanks, Sandra

Comment

Hi
              Finally got there!
              1840 Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Ratley in the County of Warwick
              No. 9
              May 11 1840
              James Pike Mitchell, of full age, Bachelor, occupation Coach maker, residence Oxford, father John Mitchell, Coach builder
              +
              Mary Gardner, Do. (full age), Spinster, occ Servant, residence Ratley, father William Gardner, Labourer
              by Banns by Edwd Miller, Vicar
              Signed by James Pike Mitchell + Mary Gardner
              Witnesses Joseph England + Hannah Gardner

Re the witnesses, next marriage in the register, no. 10, is
              August 17 1840
              Joseph England, of full age, Bachelor, Stone cutter, residence Ratley, father George England, Carpenter
              +
              Hannah Gardner, Do., Spinster, Servant, residence Ratley, father William Gardner, Labourer
              by Banns by Edwd Miller, Vicar. Both signed, witnessed by Sarah Gardner and James ?? (looked like Guigh!)

John

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for the information on James Pike Mitchell. I think it tells me what I wanted to know (and hoped it would say).

Best wishes,

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                X